Derive the force from different spring configurations

In summary, the conversation is about finding a website or resource that explains the concept of finding the force in different spring configurations, specifically two springs in series with different spring constants. The conversation also mentions the need for a general understanding and how the current resources they have looked into do not provide enough detail. The conversation also includes a brief explanation and formula for determining the total spring constant for a series of springs.
brentd49
Does anyone know a website that will derive the force from different spring configurations, i.e. two springs in series with different spring constants. I would just like to be able to understand and work with any combination of springs: two in series, connected to 3 in parallel connected to one in series...etc. I want to be able to understand from the general case. Halliday and Resnik does not go into detail at all, and I didn't have any luck googling. Thanks. -Brent

Physics news on Phys.org
^bump

I'd be satisfied with a decent explanation of two springs in series with different spring constants.

For 2 springs in series you have a common force, each spring has a force of mg acting (neglecting the mass of the springs). So:

[tex]- x_1 k_1= mg [/tex]
and
[tex] - x_2 K_2 = mg [/tex]

For the pair of springs you can write:
[tex] -x_T K_T = mg [/tex]

But we must have:
[tex] x_T = x_1 +x_2 [/tex]

For the total we now can write:
[tex] -(x_1 + x_2) K_T =mg [/tex]

Observe that from our first relationships we have :

[tex] -x_n = \frac {mg} {k_n} [/tex]

n= 1,2

so:
(now I can eliminate the pesky negative sign)
[tex] (\frac {mg} {k_1} + \frac {mg} {k_2})K_T = mg[/tex]

Finally we get :

[tex] \frac 1 {K_t} = \frac 1 { k_1} + \frac 1 {k_2} [/tex]

The key to the parallel case is that the displacement of the springs are equal. I'll let you do that one.

Last edited:
The force on a spring equals the spring constant times the change in length.

(1) dF=ktotal dxtotal

and for a series of springs, dF is the same for each, so

(2) dF = k1 dx1 + k2 dx2 + k3 dx3 etc...
or dF = sum (kn dxn)

and the total distance x is
(3) dxtotal = sum (dF/kn)

Now substitute (3) into (1)

dF = ktotal dxtotal = ktotal sum(dF/kn)

Divide by dF

1 = ktotal sum (1/kn)

Put ktotal on the opposite side

ktotal = 1/ (sum (1/kn))

(sorry for the lousey presentation here.)

So the total spring constant for a bunch of springs in series is:

ktotal = 1 / ( sum (1/kn) )

Where
ktotal = total or equivalent spring constant of the springs in series
kn = one of the springs from 1 to n

Example:

For 3 springs with k's
1. 10 (lb/in)
2. 24 (lb/in)
3. 40 (lb/in)

The equivalent spring constant is

k = 1/ (1/10 + 1/24 + 1/40 )

k = 1/ (.1 + .0416667 + .025)

k = 6 (lb/in)

If you use the same basic logic, you should also be able to determine a more generic formula for springs in series and parallel.

Edit: I see Integral beat me to it! lol

FAQ: Derive the force from different spring configurations

1. How does the force vary with different spring configurations?

The force in a spring varies based on its configuration, such as the type of material used, the length and diameter of the spring, and the number of coils. Generally, the greater the stiffness of the spring, the greater the force it can exert.

2. What are the different types of spring configurations?

There are several types of spring configurations, including compression springs, extension springs, torsion springs, and conical springs. Each type has its own unique design and function, and the force they exert can vary greatly.

3. How does the force change as the spring is compressed or stretched?

According to Hooke's Law, the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the amount it is compressed or stretched. This means that as the spring is compressed or stretched, the force it exerts will also change in a linear manner.

4. What is the formula for calculating the force of a spring?

The formula for calculating the force of a spring is F = kx, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the spring constant in N/m, and x is the displacement of the spring in meters. This formula can be used for any type of spring configuration.

5. How can the force of a spring be increased or decreased?

The force of a spring can be increased by using a stiffer material, increasing the number of coils, or decreasing the length or diameter of the spring. Conversely, the force can be decreased by using a more flexible material, decreasing the number of coils, or increasing the length or diameter of the spring.

Back