Derive the fundamental equation from and equation of state

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
babbagee
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I just need help deriving the fundamental equation from Equation of state for wan der waals fluids.

P=[itex]\frac{RT}{v-b}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{a}{v^2}[/itex]

and

u=cRT-[itex]\frac{a}{v}[/itex]

where a,b, and c are constants.

I know the fundamental equation is

dS=[itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex]dU+[itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex]dvI solved the u equation so it's in terms of u and v and just plugged in the P equation to [itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex] but then I get an equation of two variables which I am not sure how to integrate. So I get an equation in the form of

dS=f(u,v)dU + f(u,v)dv

Can someone help me with the integration please.

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamental equation is independent of the equation of state, and follows from the more general 2nd law of thermodynamics. So it is not clear what is being asked here.