Deriving Corner Frequency for High Pass Filter

In summary: So there isn't an actual accepted term that electrical engineers use to describe this "reference" gain?Or is it just referred to as the "stable"...basically the same gain at infinite frequency? Yes, there is no specific term, but it is usually referred to as the "stable" gain.
jegues

Homework Statement

See Explanation below for details of my confusion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello all,

I've derived a transfer function, [tex]T(s) = \frac{\frac{-R_{2}}{R_{1}}}{1 + \frac{1}{sCR_{1}}}[/tex], but I can't seem to derive the corner frequency.

I am suppose to derive the corner frequency and show that it is indeed, [tex]\omega_{o} = \frac{1}{CR_{1}}[/tex]

The only way I know how to obtain the corner frequency was how I obtained it using a low pass filter. I set the magnitude of my transfer function at the corner frequency equal to my DC gain divided by √(2).

But in a high pass filter my DC gain is 0. (This is what you would expect, it allows high frequencies to pass and attenuates low frequencies, and at DC [tex]\omega = 0[/tex])

So how do I solve it? Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:

Homework Statement

See Explanation below for details of my confusion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello all,

I've derived a transfer function, [tex]T(s) = \frac{\frac{-R_{2}}{R_{1}}}{1 + \frac{1}{sCR_{1}}}[/tex], but I can't seem to derive the corner frequency.

I am suppose to derive the corner frequency and show that it is indeed, [tex]\omega_{o} = \frac{1}{CR_{1}}[/tex]

The only way I know how to obtain the corner frequency was how I obtained it using a low pass filter. I set the magnitude of my transfer function at the corner frequency equal to my DC gain divided by √(2).

But in a high pass filter my DC gain is 0. (This is what you would expect, it allows high frequencies to pass and attenuates low frequencies, and at DC [tex]\omega = 0[/tex])

So how do I solve it? Can someone nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks again!

The HPF has unity gain at infinite frequency. What is s at infinite frequency?

berkeman said:

Well for physical frequencies, [tex]s = j\omega[/tex]

[tex]\text{So if, } \omega \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

[tex]s \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

jegues said:
Well for physical frequencies, [tex]s = j\omega[/tex]

[tex]\text{So if, } \omega \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

[tex]s \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

Yep. So what does that give you for your transfer function at infinite frequency?

berkeman said:
Yep. So what does that give you for your transfer function at infinite frequency?

[tex]T(s)| _{s \rightarrow \infty} = \frac{-R_{2}}{R_{1}}[/tex]

Are these questions working towards giving me my corner frequency, or how to derive it?

EDIT: Ahhh I think I see my confusion now! I was trying to solve it the same way I solved the low pass filter but the unity gain of the low pass and high pass filters are different! So I have to do the magnitude of the transfer function corresponds to 1/sqrt(2) times the gain as s approaches infinity!

Last edited:
berkeman said:

berkeman, I have a quick question about the language you used here.

What do you mean when you say HPF has unity gain at infinite frequency?

Unity gain from what I understand is when I have a gain of 1.

I know that for derivations of corner frequencys (both high and low pass),

[tex]|T(jw)| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} * T(jw)|_{w \rightarrow \text{Unity Gain}}[/tex]

jegues said:
berkeman, I have a quick question about the language you used here.

What do you mean when you say HPF has unity gain at infinite frequency?

Unity gain from what I understand is when I have a gain of 1.

I know that for derivations of corner frequencys (both high and low pass),

[tex]|T(jw)| = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} * T(jw)|_{w \rightarrow \text{Unity Gain}}[/tex]

Yes, maybe I should have used a different word. Filters can have whatever gain they are designed for, so the HPF has whatever gain at infinite frequency.

I should have said more like a "reference" gain, which is the gain that it stabilizes at as the frequency goes to infinity. Like a LPF has some "reference" gain at DC. The attenuated values as you go down the slope(s) of the filter are with respect to the reference gain where there is no attenuation.

Sorry for the confusion.

berkeman said:
Yes, maybe I should have used a different word. Filters can have whatever gain they are designed for, so the HPF has whatever gain at infinite frequency.

I should have said more like a "reference" gain, which is the gain that it stabilizes at as the frequency goes to infinity. Like a LPF has some "reference" gain at DC. The attenuated values as you go down the slope(s) of the filter are with respect to the reference gain where there is no attenuation.

Sorry for the confusion.

So there isn't an actual accepted term that electrical engineers use to describe this "reference" gain?

Or is it just referred to as the "stable" gain?

You could call it the "passband gain"...

berkeman said:
You could call it the "passband gain"...

Hmph... You'd think they'd have a specific term in place to describe just this... Weird.

1. What is a high pass filter?

A high pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows signals with frequencies above a certain cutoff frequency to pass through, while attenuating signals with frequencies below the cutoff frequency. It is commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications to remove low frequency noise or to separate high and low frequency signals.

2. How is the corner frequency determined for a high pass filter?

The corner frequency for a high pass filter is determined by the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit. It is calculated using the formula fc = 1 / (2 * π * RC), where fc is the corner frequency, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in Farads. The corner frequency is the point at which the filter begins to attenuate the signal.

3. What is the significance of the corner frequency in a high pass filter?

The corner frequency is the point where the filter begins to attenuate the signal. It is also known as the -3dB point, as it represents a 3dB decrease in signal amplitude. The corner frequency is important because it determines the range of frequencies that will be allowed to pass through the filter.

4. How does the corner frequency affect the output of a high pass filter?

The corner frequency determines the cutoff point for the filter, above which frequencies will pass through and below which they will be attenuated. The closer the input frequency is to the corner frequency, the less attenuation will occur. As the input frequency increases above the corner frequency, the output will approach the full amplitude of the input signal.

5. What factors can affect the corner frequency of a high pass filter?

The corner frequency of a high pass filter can be affected by the values of the resistor and capacitor, as well as any other components in the circuit that may introduce resistance or capacitance. Changes in temperature or aging of components can also alter the corner frequency. Additionally, the design of the filter itself, such as the order or type of filter, can also influence the corner frequency.