Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving current from decharging capacitor and homogenous DE

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    Hello there,

I want learn to do homogenous differential equations and I cannot work out what is wrong in this example. Hope you'll be able to tell me why my DE is unsatisfactory.

Assume that a capacitor is has charge Q and that the terminal with the high voltage is connected to a switch in line with a resistor which in turn is connected to the low terminal on the cap.

When the switch is closed, I write ohms law:
    ##i = \frac{v}{R}##
    The current in the circuit will be proportional to the voltage across the capacitor plates.

The from there I rewrite ohms law using the definition of capacitance and differentiate to get the DE:

$$
    i=\frac{v}{R} = \frac{q}{RC} \implies \frac{d i}{dt} = \frac{i}{RC}
    $$

I solve the DE and find:

$$
    i = C e^{t/(RC)},
    $$
    Where ##C## is some constant. The problem is that the current diverges as a function of time.

I wanted expected something along the lines of:

##i = Ce^{-t/(RC)},##

Where the current converge to zero of as time pass.

What is unsatisfactory with the DE I started with? I think it looks correct, and cannot find anything wrong with it. Perhaps you can help. :)

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
    Marius

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You simply made a sign mistake in your derivation of the DE. Here you integrate the electric along the circuit from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate, this gives you [itex]-U=Q/C[/itex]. Further, since [itex]\vec{j} = \sigma \vec{E}[/itex] along the wire, you have [itex]i[/itex] positive in this direction. Thus the right equation is
    [tex]i=-\frac{Q}{R C},[/tex]
    and the rest of the calculation is analogous to the one you've presented.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook