1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving d'Alemberts solution - Boundary conditions

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I shall show (using Fourier transform) that the solution to

[tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 u(x,t)}{\partial t^2} = \frac{\partial^2 u(x,t)}{\partial x^2}\\
    u(x,0) = f(x) \\
    u_t(x,0) = 0
    [/tex]

is

[tex]
    u(x,t) = (f(x+t) + f(x-t))/2
    [/tex]

I got it almost: Taking the Fourier transform in the variable x (leaving t constant) and the derivative theorem gives:

[tex]
    \hat{u}_{tt}(s,t) + 4\pi^2 s^2 \hat{u}(s,t) = 0
    [/tex]

And the solution to this differential equation is:

[tex]
    \hat{u}(s,t) = A e^{j2\pi s t} + B e^{-j2\pi s t}
    [/tex]

However, now I am stuck in incorporating the boundary conditions and I do not see why A and B should become [itex]f(x)=u(x,0)[/itex].

My approach was: Since u(x,t) was transferred to Fourier domain via x rather than t, [itex]u(s,0) = \hat{u}(x,0)[/itex]. Derivating the solution for t and filling t=0 gives A=B. But I neither see the factor of 1/2 there, nore why A and B should be f(x). Can anyone give me a pointer?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2
    Got it; finally!
    It is so trivial from where I was: A=B was correct, it is a constant regarding t but not s, so A(s)=B(s).

The other "boundary" condition is u(x,0)=f(x), so when transforming back my solution: u(x,t) = A(x+t)+B(x-t) with t=0: u(x,0)=A(x)+B(x) which means that A(x)=B(x)=f(x)/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook