Deriving Electromagnetic Theory

In summary, magnetic monopoles postulate the existence of charges that have a magnetic field only and that interact with electric fields. Duality allows for the replacement of electric fields with magnetic fields in differential equations, which can simplify calculations.
spaghetti3451
Hi,

I am trying to re-derive, or should I say modify, the existing theory of classical electromagnetism by postulating the existence of magnetic monopoles. Where should I begin?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a subject that is covered in many engineering books. In the end, it makes Maxwell's Equations symmetrical. The divergence of the magnetic flux density is the magnetic charge density, just like how the divergence of the electric flux density is the electric charge density. There will also be magnetic currents as well. You can change between the electric and magnetic fields for a given equation in such a system by making use of duality. I do not have my references on hand but basically it allows you to replace the electric field in an equation with the magnetic field and something similar with the permittivity, permeability, charges and currents.

Allowing for magnetic currents is often done in computations because the behavior of magnetic currents is like the "dual" of the electric currents. For example, I can excite the same electromagnetic wave from a given electric current by a magnetic current. The magnetic and electric currents will be related to each other along the lines of the curl operator. So a linear dipole electric current is equivalent to a loop of magnetic current and vice-versa. This can allow us to more easily express the excitations of a field using magnetic currents.

Weng Cho Chew's "Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media" discusses duality but many electrical engineering texts will probably have it (more so if they deal with computational methods or antennas since magnetic currents often arise in those subjects).

It was also discussed in the edition of Halliday and Resnick's first-year physics textbook that I used nearly forty years ago. I don't know if the current editions still do this.

Thanks! I'll use the books and if I have any further questions, I hope you won't mind answering them. :-)

It might be useful to know, if you are using the Maxwell-Herz equations in differential form, to sign the magnetic current using the convention

[tex]-\nabla \times E - \frac{\partial B}{\partial t} = J_{magnetic}[/tex]

1. What is electromagnetic theory?

Electromagnetic theory is a set of equations that describe the fundamental laws and principles governing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. It is a branch of physics that explains the relationship between electricity and magnetism, and how these phenomena interact with matter.

2. Who developed electromagnetic theory?

Electromagnetic theory was developed by a number of scientists, including Michael Faraday, James Clerk Maxwell, and Heinrich Hertz. However, Maxwell is credited with unifying the various equations and theories into a single, cohesive theory.

3. What are the key principles of electromagnetic theory?

The key principles of electromagnetic theory include Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and the electromagnetic wave equation, which explains how these fields propagate through space. Other principles include the concept of electric and magnetic fields as vector quantities and the principles of electromagnetic induction and radiation.

4. How is electromagnetic theory used in modern technology?

Electromagnetic theory is the foundation of many modern technologies, including radio, television, and wireless communication. It is also used in the development of electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment. Understanding electromagnetic theory is essential for advancements in fields such as telecommunications, energy production, and materials science.

5. What are some current research areas in electromagnetic theory?

Current research in electromagnetic theory focuses on areas such as plasmonics, which explores how light interacts with metallic nanostructures, and metamaterials, which are artificial materials with unique electromagnetic properties. Other research areas include quantum electrodynamics, which studies the interactions between light and matter at the quantum level, and the development of new materials for use in electromagnetic applications.