Deriving hydrostatic pressure equation for an ideal gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the empirical formula T = T0 - Bz in a hydrostatic situation with an ideal gas. The formula is used to find the pressure at a certain depth, and the process involves substituting the ideal gas equation for density and integrating. However, a mistake was made in the integration process, as the lower limit of integration was not substituted. Once this is corrected, the final answer is p2 = p1((T0 - Bz)/T0)(g/Bz).
jdawg
Assume: Hydrostatic Situation, ideal gas
Use empirical formula T = T0 - Bz

I have rechecked my work several times and can't seem to find a mistake. The answer is supposed to be:
p2 = p1((T0 - Bz)/T0)(g/Bz)

dp/dz = -ρg Now substitute ideal gas equation for ρ
dp = -(p/RT)g dz
∫(1/p) dp = (-g/R) ∫(1/(T0-Bz) dz After substituting T = T0 - Bz ... Integrate

let u = T0 - Bz
du = -B dz

ln(p2/p1) = (g/BR) ∫(1/u) du
ln(p2/p1) = (g/BR)(ln(u))

ln(p2/p1) = (g/BR)(ln(T0-Bz))
p2 = p1(T0 - Bz)(g/BR)

Where are they getting that T0 on the bottom??

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:
Assume: Hydrostatic Situation, ideal gas
Use empirical formula T = T0 - Bz

I have rechecked my work several times and can't seem to find a mistake. The answer is supposed to be:
p2 = p1((T0 - Bz)/T0)(g/Bz)

dp/dz = -ρg Now substitute ideal gas equation for ρ
dp = -(p/RT)g dz
∫(1/p) dp = (-g/R) ∫(1/(T0-Bz) dz After substituting T = T0 - Bz ... Integrate

let u = T0 - Bz
du = -B dz

ln(p2/p1) = (g/BR) ∫(1/u) du
ln(p2/p1) = (g/BR)(ln(u))

ln(p2/p1) = (g/BR)(ln(T0-Bz))
p2 = p1(T0 - Bz)(g/BR)

Where are they getting that T0 on the bottom??
You forgot to substitute the lower limit of integration in the right hand side of the equation.

Likes jdawg
THANK YOU, can't believe I forgot to do that!

1. What is the hydrostatic pressure equation for an ideal gas?

The hydrostatic pressure equation for an ideal gas is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the gas, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the gas column.

2. How is the hydrostatic pressure equation derived for an ideal gas?

The hydrostatic pressure equation is derived by applying the laws of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics to an ideal gas in a closed container. This results in an equation that relates pressure, density, and height.

3. What is the significance of the hydrostatic pressure equation for an ideal gas?

The hydrostatic pressure equation is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of ideal gases in different conditions. It is also used in various applications, such as calculating the pressure in a gas tank or determining the depth of a gas in a container.

4. Can the hydrostatic pressure equation be applied to non-ideal gases?

No, the hydrostatic pressure equation is specifically derived for ideal gases. Non-ideal gases have more complex behavior and require different equations to describe their pressure.

5. How does temperature affect the hydrostatic pressure equation for an ideal gas?

Temperature does not directly affect the hydrostatic pressure equation for an ideal gas. However, changes in temperature can affect the density of the gas, which in turn can impact the pressure according to the equation.