Deriving the Formula for Gravitational Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the formula for general gravitational potential energy without using calculus. The formula for escape velocity is mentioned as a key factor in the derivation process, and a method using the graph of the function and geometric means is mentioned as an alternative to the calculus derivation.
blackwing1
Hey guys,
Do any of you happen to know how to derive the formula for General gravitational potential energy (not the mgh one) without using calculus? Thanks.

Just in case you guys want to know, I'm trying to derive the equation for this: http://xkcd.com/681_large/. I've got most of it, but I didn't know the formula for escape velocity so I searched it up and it led up to the formula for General Gravitational E_P. I haven't learned calculus yet, but I would still like to know how to derive it. Thanks. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The escape energy is given by
[tex]E_{e} = \frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
where M is the planet mass, m is the object mass and r is the radius of the planet.

They set the energy raised in constant Earth's gravity equal to the escape energy.

[tex]mgh = \frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
[tex]h = \frac{GM}{gr}[/tex]

The first equation given is derived using calculus. I have seen a way of deriving it using the graph of the function and geometric means but it is not as meaningful as the calculus derivation.

Thanks. :D

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential energy that an object has because of its mass and its distance from the center of the Earth.

2. How is the formula for gravitational potential energy derived?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is derived using the universal law of gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the formula for gravitational potential energy?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is E = mgh, where E is the gravitational potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the center of the Earth.

4. What factors affect the gravitational potential energy of an object?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is affected by its mass, the acceleration due to gravity, and its height or distance from the center of the Earth. The potential energy increases as any of these factors increase.

5. What units is gravitational potential energy measured in?

Gravitational potential energy is measured in joules (J) in the SI system. In the CGS system, it is measured in ergs (erg). Other common units include kilojoules (kJ) and kilocalories (kcal).