1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the lorentz transforms

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    It's a really easy question, I know, but I must be doing something stupid. Can someone please spell out how to get the right hand side matrix form out of the individual equations?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you multiply the matrix by the 4-vector (t', x', y', z') it should result in the 4-vector (t, x, y, z) as set out on the left side of the arrow. I think the matrix is wrong, though. The numerator of the second term in the top row should be v/c^2 and the numerator of the first term in the second row should be v.

4. Apr 18, 2006 #3
    See I thought that as well, but they have the inverse of that matrix in the book too & it matches up with the one on wikipedia. Apparently it's gotten by switching V for (-V). Does it work out if you use the 4 vector (ct', x', y', z') & (ct, x, y, z)?

Edit: Right.. it does.. I knew I was doing something stupid sorry.
  5. Apr 18, 2006 #4
    Wait don't go. I have more foolish questions once I figure out how to post in that .. latex is it?
  6. Apr 18, 2006 #5
    \newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }

g_{\it ij} \pd{}{V^k}{} (V^i V^j )= 2 g_{\it kj} V^j [/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  7. Apr 18, 2006 #6
    K got it. Why does that work? Something to do with the symmetry of the metric....
  8. Apr 18, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No need for any special symmetry. It follows from [itex] {\partial V^i \over \partial V^k} = \delta^i_k [/itex] and similarly if i is replaced by j. Then you just need to rename a dummy index in one of the terms and you get the answer provided.
  9. Apr 18, 2006 #8
    Thanks both of you. I don't know where i'd go when my brain isn't working. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?