1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am trying to solve a basic question from a Fluid dynamics text book. Could you help me with the answer? The question is as follows:

A closed vessel full of water is rotating with constant angular velocity [tex]\Omega[/tex] about a horizontal axis. Show that the surfaces of equal pressure are circular cylinders whose common axis is at a height [tex]g/\Omega^{2}[/tex] above the axis of rotation.

I don't know how to tackle this problem. Is there a technique in solving such theoretical questions?

Thanks,

P.S:- This is not a homework or coursework question. I am also new to Physics forum, and hence, my question may not be appropriate for this section. In that case please tell me in which section I should pose fluid dynamics questions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Interesting question... I only have a partial answer, working from Tritton's 'Physical Fluid Dynamics'. In it, he starts with:

[tex]\frac{Du}{Dt} =\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla p -\Omega \times \Omega \times r - 2\Omega \times u + \nu \nabla^{2} u +\rho g[/tex]

So, assuming conservation of momentum, Du/Dt = 0. Also, the second term on the rhs can be written as
    [tex] -\nabla (\frac{1}{2}\Omega^{2}r^{2})[/tex]

and combined to give a reduced pressure

[tex]p - \frac{1}{2}\Omega^{2}r^{2}[/tex]

Then, ignoring the Coriolus term and assuming inviscid flow, I can maybe see how you get the result you mention. Maybe...

hope this helps.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook