Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe surfaces of equal pressure in a rotating fluid

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    Hi, I am trying to solve a basic question from a Fluid dynamics text book. Could you help me with the answer? The question is as follows:

A closed vessel full of water is rotating with constant angular velocity [tex]\Omega[/tex] about a horizontal axis. Show that the surfaces of equal pressure are circular cylinders whose common axis is at a height [tex]g/\Omega^{2}[/tex] above the axis of rotation.

I don't know how to tackle this problem. Is there a technique in solving such theoretical questions?

Thanks,

P.S:- This is not a homework or coursework question. I am also new to Physics forum, and hence, my question may not be appropriate for this section. In that case please tell me in which section I should pose fluid dynamics questions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Interesting question... I only have a partial answer, working from Tritton's 'Physical Fluid Dynamics'. In it, he starts with:

[tex]\frac{Du}{Dt} =\frac{1}{\rho}\nabla p -\Omega \times \Omega \times r - 2\Omega \times u + \nu \nabla^{2} u +\rho g[/tex]

So, assuming conservation of momentum, Du/Dt = 0. Also, the second term on the rhs can be written as
    [tex] -\nabla (\frac{1}{2}\Omega^{2}r^{2})[/tex]

and combined to give a reduced pressure

[tex]p - \frac{1}{2}\Omega^{2}r^{2}[/tex]

Then, ignoring the Coriolus term and assuming inviscid flow, I can maybe see how you get the result you mention. Maybe...

hope this helps.

4. May 30, 2010 #3
    Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook