Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing Matrix/Transformation by Eigens.

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, All:

Say T:R^n --->R^n is a linear map , and that the associated matrix M has a unique eigenvalue l=1. Is M necessarily a rotation matrix about the eigenspace?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No - e.g. consider ##\left(\begin{smallmatrix} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1\end{smallmatrix}\right)##.

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see. I am trying to show that by applying kri+rj , i.e., adding a multiple of k times row i to

row j one row to another row has the effect of rotating one of the k-planes about the

solution subspace, since this is the only way I can conceive that the operation kri+rj

preserves the solution to the system. Can you see how I else I can show this?

5. Apr 4, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solution subspace of what?

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I have a soluble , i.e., non-contradictory (homogeneous) system of linear equations .

The fundamental row operations--exchange rows, add a multiple of one

row to another row-- preserve the solutions to the system. If we look at the

solution S to the system geometrically, this is a subspace, possibly trivial. I'm trying

to show that the operation of adding a multiple of row i to row j has the effect of

rotating the n-planes in the system of equations about the solution- space S.

I think the affine case--for non-homogeneous systems, is similar. I've been using

the fundamental theorem of linear algebra that Bacle had mentioned in a similar

problem, but I still can't prove this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook