1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Description of surface, vector calculus

1. Feb 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the surface parameterized by (v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u)), where u and v both vary from 0 to 2∏.

2. Relevant equations
    (v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u))
    I think this is supposed to be a vector function? As in r(u,v) = <v cos(u), v sin(u), 45 v cos(u)>.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In the x-y plane, this is a circle. x = v cos(u) so z = 45x. This is a slanted plane? So I thought the surface would be an ellipse, since the coefficient of x is 45 and the circle would be very squashed. Does this seem to be part of a cylinder because the cross section of a cylinder, if the plane is slanted, would it be a portion of an elliptical paraboloid? Or could it be a portion of a cone or hyperboloid? One of the answer options is an ellipsoid, but I don't think that's right because when I graphed this on a computer, it showed a flat surface.

There are so many possibilities!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Take v to be fixed, initially. Varying u should give you a curve, and yes, it's an ellipse. Describe the plane the ellipse lies in and where it is centred. Then imagine varying v over its given range.

4. Feb 14, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's exactly what it is and how you describe a surface.

Yes, that is correct for fixed ##v##. Its equation is ##x^2+ y^2 = v^2##. But if you let ##v## vary from ##0## to ##2\pi## what do you get?

Yes. And ##x## and ##z## must be on that plane, no matter what ##y## is.
    There aren't that many possibilities. You know all the points on the surface must be on the plane ##z=45x## and your computer shows the surface is flat. Don't those agree? If you project the ##xy## "shadow" in the ##xy## plane up onto the slanted plane, what do you get?

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4
    So the description of the surface just an ellipse? If you project the circle onto the slanted plane, it should look like an ellipse.

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I suppose you could describe it as an elliptical disc.

7. Feb 18, 2013 #6
    Oh OK.
    Thank you for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook