Surface Integrals of first octant

In summary: In fact, if your surface is a plane, it's just the integral over the region projected onto the plane.
galaxy_twirl

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫ F⋅dS, where F = yi+x2j+z2k and S is the portion of the plane 3x+2y+z = 6
in the first octant.

The orientation of S is given by the upward normal vector.

Homework Equations

∫∫S F⋅dS = ∫∫D F(r(u,v))⋅||ru x rv|| dA, dA=dudv

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since this is the first octant, our domain will be 0 ≤ u ≤ π/2 and 0 ≤ v ≤ π/2.

I have to obtain the equation of the form r(u,v) before I proceed to substitute it into the equation given by F. However, I am stuck trying to obtain the equation r(u,v).

Just wondering, is r(u,v) here the vector equation of the plane? (Cos r(u,v) is usually in the form i, j, k). From deduction, I found that x=y=z=1.

Thank you for any help given. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
galaxy_twirl said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫∫ F⋅dS, where F = yi+x2j+z2k and S is the portion of the plane 3x+2y+z = 6
in the first octant.

The orientation of S is given by the upward normal vector.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since this is the first octant, our domain will be 0 ≤ u ≤ π/2 and 0 ≤ v ≤ π/2.

No it won't. This problem has nothing to do with circles or ##\pi##. It is a plane slanted up against the first octant coordinate planes and its xy domain is not a rectangle. Have you drawn a sketch?

I have to obtain the equation of the form r(u,v) before I proceed to substitute it into the equation given by F. However, I am stuck trying to obtain the equation r(u,v).

Just wondering, is r(u,v) here the vector equation of the plane? (Cos r(u,v) is usually in the form i, j, k). From deduction, I found that x=y=z=1.

Thank you for any help given. :)

Let ##u=x,~v=y## be your parameters. So then ##\vec r(x,y) =~?##

LCKurtz said:
No it won't. This problem has nothing to do with circles or ##\pi##. It is a plane slanted up against the first octant coordinate planes and its xy domain is not a rectangle. Have you drawn a sketch?

Oh nope, I haven't drawn a sketch. I think I misread the question. How do I sketch the intersection? I know how to sketch the octant, which is like a quarter of a 3D sphere, but I am unsure of how to draw the plane. May I have your advice on sketching the plane? :)

LCKurtz said:
Let ##u=x,~v=y## be your parameters. So then ##\vec r(x,y) =~?##

r(x,y) = 3u i + 2v j + k = 6, am I right to say this?

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
galaxy_twirl said:
Oh nope, I haven't drawn a sketch. I think I misread the question. How do I sketch the intersection? I know how to sketch the octant, which is like a quarter of a 3D sphere, but I am unsure of how to draw the plane. May I have your advice on sketching the plane?

Nothing in this problem is "like a 3D sphere". Find the x,y, and z intercepts. Join them with straight lines in the coordinate planes, and that will show you the first octant portion of the plane.

r(x,y) = 3u i + 2v j + k = 6, am I right to say this?

Thanks! :)

No. Not even close. You have x and y on the left and u and v on the right. Like I said before, your parameters are x and y. Your parameterization should look like ##r(x,y) = xi + yj + ? k##

LCKurtz said:
No. Not even close. You have x and y on the left and u and v on the right. Like I said before, your parameters are x and y. Your parameterization should look like r(x,y)=xi+yj+?k

Oh oops. I think it should be r(x,y) = 3i + 2j + k - 6, right?

Nothing in this problem is "like a 3D sphere". Find the x,y, and z intercepts. Join them with straight lines in the coordinate planes, and that will show you the first octant portion of the plane.

Hmm I shall try again. :)

LCKurtz said:
Your parameterization should look like ##r(x,y) = xi + yj + ? k##

galaxy_twirl said:
I think it should be r(x,y) = 3i + 2j + k - 6, right?
Does it look right?

LCKurtz said:
Does it look right?

I tried to do this as I learned how to convert cartesian equation of a plane into its vector parametric form at A levels:

e64p3r.jpg

May I know if what I had done is correct?

Assuming it is correct, I guess my parametization of the plane should be:r(x,y) = xi + yj + (6-3x-2y)k

right? :)

galaxy_twirl said:
Assuming it is correct, I guess my parametization of the plane should be:r(x,y) = xi + yj + (6-3x-2y)k

Yes, that is correct. Have you figured out the xy domain?

galaxy_twirl said:
I tried to do this as I learned how to convert cartesian equation of a plane into its vector parametric form at A levels:

May I know if what I had done is correct?

Your parametrization looks fine. So ##\vec r(x,y) = x \hat i + y \hat j + z \hat k## where ##z = 6 - 3x - 2y##.

Looking at the theorem you provided in the given equations:

You should notice you are using the wrong equation. In-fact, your normal vector has completely disappeared unless you intended to mean:

$$\iint_S \vec F(x, y, z) \cdot d \vec S = \iint_S \vec F(x, y, z) \cdot \vec n \space dS = \iint_D [\vec F(\vec r(x,y)) \cdot \vec n] \space ||\vec r_x \times \vec r_y|| \space dA$$

It can be shown with ##\vec n = \frac{\vec r_x \times \vec r_y}{||\vec r_x \times \vec r_y||}## that the surface integral can be evaluated in the following fasion:

$$\iint_S \vec F(x, y, z) \cdot d \vec S = \iint_D \vec F(\vec r(x,y)) \cdot (\vec r_x \times \vec r_y) \space dA$$

which is much simpler in many cases.

What is a surface integral of the first octant?

A surface integral of the first octant is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total area of a surface in the first octant of 3-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a specific region on the surface.

What are the applications of surface integrals of the first octant?

Surface integrals of the first octant have various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface, finding the mass of a curved object, or determining the work done by a force on a 3-dimensional object.

How is a surface integral of the first octant calculated?

To calculate a surface integral of the first octant, the surface is first divided into small regions, and the function to be integrated is evaluated at a point within each region. The area of each region is then multiplied by the function value and all these values are added together to get the total surface integral.

What is the difference between a surface integral of the first octant and a regular double integral?

A surface integral of the first octant is a type of double integral, but it is specifically used for calculating the area of a surface in the first octant. Regular double integrals are used for calculating the volume under a surface or the area of a region in the xy-plane.

What are some common challenges when calculating surface integrals of the first octant?

One common challenge is determining the limits of integration for each variable. It is also important to choose the correct orientation of the surface and to correctly evaluate the function at each point. Additionally, dealing with curved surfaces and non-rectangular regions can make the calculation more complex.