1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design experiment to test air conditioner performance at different ambient temps

1. Jan 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have access to a test facility for window type air conditioners that has a small room that is used to simulate the outdoors. I need to use the facility to test the effect of temperature on the performance of one of our window type AC units. The performance must e done as a function of temperature at the different air conditioner settings.

2. Relevant equations
    COP = Q/W = 1/ (T_outside/T_inside - 1)

3. The attempt at a solution

I think finding the COP at different temps would give a good representation of the AC performance but I'm not sure how to experimentally determine this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your formula is for a reversible process and so is all but useless for what you're trying to do, except to see how much lower your COP is compared to that of a reversible (e.g. Carnot) process.

You say you have a room set aside to simulate the outdoors. I hope you also have a room set aside for the indoors. The "outdoors" room should be temperature-controlled, call it To. The "indoor" room should be thermally insulated and its dimensions known, so you can determine the heat capacity of the air C. Record the "indoor" temperature = Ti. You then run the a/c until Ti has decreased by ΔTi deg C. Meanwhile you have a wattmeter or power meter hooked up so you know the energy E used to raise Ti by ΔTi deg.

The performance (efficiency) of the unit at each set temperature To is then COP = CΔTi/E. I would use ΔTi = 2 or 3 deg C.

You can get handy plug-in power meters from companies like Belkin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook