Designing a Strong Composite Material: Advice Needed

• Thread starter buddy13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composite
In summary, the conversation is about a 2nd year engineering student seeking advice for a composite material design assignment. The assignment requires the student to design a composite material (consisting of 2 materials) with specific dimensions and properties. The student has access to various woods and polymers to use for the composite, but is unsure of the best combination and bonding method. There is a discussion about the strength and rigidity of different materials, including the use of carbon fiber and the possibility of creating a composite using simple equipment like a vacuum pump and epoxy resin. The conversation also mentions the importance of removing air voids and using an autoclave for maximum performance.
buddy13
Advice needed for composite...

Hello guys. Newbie here this is my first post ;-). I am a 2nd year Eng. Mech. Univ student.

An assignment for one of the credits is to design a composite material (made up of 2 materials)of rectangular section width 30mm and thickness 20mm, length 400mm. The composite must NOT include a metal material while having good strength and rigidity with low density.

The component will be tested by simply supporting at each end and a heavy load strapped at midpoint (say 60kg). Deflections must be small and within elastic range.

Now for the life of me excluding carbon fiber, teflon and a few other exotic materials what 2 materials and bonding method could I use to make the section strong enough?? I have access to all kind of woods and many polymers (ABS, Polycarbonate, Polyethylene...etc). Any suggestions guys? Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Kind of a weird assignment because many of the exotics are considered strong because they flex (and distribute energy), not because they are stiff. Think about ballistics and US army helmets deflecting bullets.

I can think of one case for an airline cockpit door which was too stiff and did not deflect the test blow of an axe. I'm fuzzy on the details but either the hinges failed from the shock or the axe penetrated the skin.

Do you have access to an autoclave? F1 car body shells (baked/composite/kevlar) to protect the driver are very stiff, like cast iron (almost rings when knocked on). It's the things around this shell which act as the crush zone and absorb the impact protecting from sudden deceleration.

buddy13: Perhaps start by looking up the tensile strength or compressive strength of various materials you might consider using. Will this beam consist of two separated materials, or will it consist of two materials in a mixed substance?

nvn said:
buddy13: Perhaps start by looking up the tensile strength or compressive strength of various materials you might consider using. Will this beam consist of two separated materials, or will it consist of two materials in a mixed substance?

The composite will be made up of alternate layers of the 2 materials bonded togther (somehow?). I already took a look at the specs (mod of rigidity, density...etc) of different kinds of woods and some platics but am still very unsure :-(...what type of bonding material can I use for my composite?

kach22i said:
Kind of a weird assignment because many of the exotics are considered strong because they flex (and distribute energy), not because they are stiff. Think about ballistics and US army helmets deflecting bullets.

I can think of one case for an airline cockpit door which was too stiff and did not deflect the test blow of an axe. I'm fuzzy on the details but either the hinges failed from the shock or the axe penetrated the skin.

Do you have access to an autoclave? F1 car body shells (baked/composite/kevlar) to protect the driver are very stiff, like cast iron (almost rings when knocked on). It's the things around this shell which act as the crush zone and absorb the impact protecting from sudden deceleration.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I know what you mean by the exotics deforming. But under the load specified it is very unlikely that say carbon fiber will deform plastically. So I think it is a good choice albeit an expenisve and hard to source material.

I have friends who got carbon fiber bonnets (maybe 4mm thick) you can stand up on!

Hmm..what is an autoclave exactly?

buddy13 said:
Hmm..what is an autoclave exactly?
A fancy oven used to make certain resin/fabric combo's stronger.

Don't bake anything in an oven which will ever be used to consume food in again.

http://www.netcomposites.com/education.asp?sequence=62
Maximising performance of thermoset composite materials, requires, amongst other things, an increase in the fibre to resin ratio and removal of all air voids. This can be achieved by subjecting the material to elevated pressures and temperatures.

You can make your own 'carbon-fibre' parts with simple equipment - you need a vacuum pump, vacuum bag, an epoxy resin (can use other resins too, and buy them from the internet) and pairs of jeans (preferably black for effect). You need to cut strips of the jeans, brush them with epoxy, layer them up, pop 'em in the vacuum bag to de-gas, then stick them in an oven to cure (as previously said not one you intend to ever cook in again). That's quite a simplified description I know, but you can still get pretty immense samples with a bit of playing around. Once you have a block of the right thickness, you can always machine it down to be the right size.

timmay said:
You can make your own 'carbon-fibre' parts with simple equipment - you need a vacuum pump, vacuum bag, an epoxy resin (can use other resins too, and buy them from the internet) and pairs of jeans (preferably black for effect). You need to cut strips of the jeans, brush them with epoxy, layer them up, pop 'em in the vacuum bag to de-gas, then stick them in an oven to cure (as previously said not one you intend to ever cook in again). That's quite a simplified description I know, but you can still get pretty immense samples with a bit of playing around. Once you have a block of the right thickness, you can always machine it down to be the right size.

Sounds interesting. Might give it a try. One question though..is it intelligent to assume that "my" carbon fiber will only be one component of the binary composite I need to create? Now where's that old pair of jeans...;-) ?

What is a composite material?

A composite material is a combination of two or more materials with different properties that, when combined, create a new material with improved strength, durability, and other desirable characteristics.

What are the advantages of using composite materials?

Composite materials have several advantages, including high strength-to-weight ratio, corrosion resistance, and the ability to be tailored to specific applications. They also have lower manufacturing costs and can be designed to have improved fatigue and impact resistance.

What are some common applications of composite materials?

Composite materials are used in a wide range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, and sports. They are commonly used in aircraft, wind turbines, bridges, and sports equipment such as tennis rackets and golf clubs.

What are the types of composite materials?

There are three main types of composite materials: polymer matrix composites, metal matrix composites, and ceramic matrix composites. Polymer matrix composites are the most widely used and consist of a polymer resin matrix reinforced with fibers such as carbon, glass, or aramid. Metal matrix composites use metal as the matrix and can be reinforced with ceramic or carbon fibers. Ceramic matrix composites have a ceramic matrix and are reinforced with ceramic fibers.

What factors should be considered when choosing a composite material?

When selecting a composite material, factors such as mechanical properties (strength, stiffness, and toughness), weight, cost, and environmental conditions (temperature, moisture, and chemicals) should be considered. The intended application and required performance will also play a significant role in the selection process.