Design

rossc12
TL;DR Summary
I’m looking at designing a portable propane electric generator
I’m looking at designing a portable propane electric generator that’s light for camping ect’
What ideas on how to improve the efficiency on the alternator and the inverter from dc to could I improve upon or incorporate?

Thanks Rosd

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

What power output do you require?
Will you carry it on your back, or in a vehicle or boat?
Do you have an existing system that you want to improve?

rossc12 said:
TL;DR Summary: I’m looking at designing a portable propane electric generator

ideas on how to improve the efficiency on the alternator and the inverter from dc to
In order to improve the efficiency, you need a baseline design with known performance and efficiency. Otherwise you have nothing to improve.

Take your baseline design and measure and/or calculate all the losses. Keep at it until the total of your measured/calculated losses match the actual total losses (inefficiency). You will then know exactly what to do to improve the efficiency, how much improvement you can get, and the cost/difficulty of getting that improvement.

rossc12 said:
TL;DR Summary: I’m looking at designing a portable propane electric generator

I’m looking at designing a portable propane electric generator that’s light for camping ect’
What ideas on how to improve the efficiency on the alternator and the inverter from dc to could I improve upon or incorporate?

Thanks Rosd
Here's stuff you could improve on, buy one of these and take it apart. Or, maybe you haven't fully described what you want.

https://www.google.com/search?q=por...1UEAD_enUS1084US1084&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I find this a bit silly as a practical project. Unless you are trying to do something that has not been done such as generate odd voltages or odd frequencies for some practical reason I cannot imagine, then there is little point to this. An individual will not improve on what has been done already.