1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a 5L Football for the MFL

1. Jul 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have been employed but(sic) the Mathematics Football League (MFL) to design a football. Using the volume of revolution technique, your football design must have a capacity of 5L ± 100mL. You must present a statement considering the brief below. Just a quick side note, I have checked and it cannot be spherical, it must be in the normal elliptical rugby or gridiron shaped ball (roughly).
    Brief:
    • The volume of revolution technique is to be used
    • The football must have a capacity of 5L ± 100mL
    • You should use a single non-linear function
    • You must explain carefully all the steps that you take in choosing the function and the dimensions of the football
    • You may use numerical methods (trapezium rule, numerical integration or a graphing package) in the design of the football
    2. Relevant equations
    1. V=π∫[f(x)]^2 dx (from a to b) -> Sorry I don't know how to add the boundaries in properly
    2. V=π∫[f(x)-g(x)]^2 dx (from a to b)
    3. V=π∫[f(y)]^2 (from a to b - along the y-axis)
    4. x(turning point)=-b/2a
    5. T=2π/b
    6. Quadratic Formula
    7. y=ax^2+bx+c
    8. y=sin(x)
    9. etc.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Here's some of my attempts at the solution. (I have done it in a million different ways and cannot seem to get it, I either got somewhere between 2000 and 4500mL and 6000-7000mL. Most of my working is just me picking up small errors in the calculations. The processes in the photos are pretty much the different processes I attempted the solution with) Sorry for the bad camera, thanks in advance.
    nT9T3uT.jpg
    1aW4aNV.jpg
    gRZinCQ.jpg
    ZVFSGew.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Your uploaded pictures are pretty much unreadable. Can you scan them instead and upload the PDF images?

4. Jul 21, 2016 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

I would recommend starting with the goal in mind.
    You want the volume to be 5L, and you need to have two symmetric zeros for your function.
    ## V = \pi \int_0^{x_1} [f(x)]^2 dx =5##
    I think that starting with a quadratic function is fine. Set the first zero at x = 0, so you have ##f(x) = ax^2 + bx## which as a second zero at x = -b/a.
    Square that to get your integrated function.
    ## V = \pi \int_0^{-b/a} ( ax^2 + bx )^2 dx = 5. ##
    The integration is straightforward, and you should be left with an equation with lots of a's and b's and a 5.
    You can pick a value for a and solve for b. Graph the resulting function (ax^2 + bx) so you can see what you get.
    Increasing a will decrease the length of your football and make it fatter in the middle. Decreasing a will make it longer and make it thinner in the middle.
    Of course, you need to make sure your units match up...so in this case, since 1L = (10cm)^3, your units of length for x are in decimeters.

5. Jul 21, 2016 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

You could also consider entering "volume of an ellipsoid" into Google if you want another perspective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted