1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Designing a circuit from a transfer function [linear control]

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Linear Control Systems - 2006 past paper

If I wanted to design a controller with a transfer function of the form

How would I go about doing so?

2. Relevant equations

A constant gain is given as a constant
    A differentiator will have an S term in the numerator
    An integrator will have an S term in the denominator

3. The attempt at a solution

From the transfer function I can see that a Gain of 5 is used, and an integrator is required

How would i choose discrete circuit components to satisfy the above?

Basicly [tex]\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{(s+0.5)(s+2)}{(s+10)}[/tex]

So some resistor and capacitor network would be needed to realize the remaining transfer function. And an integrator would be needed with some capacitor fed back.

Still I'm quite confused on how to go about this
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2
    This is probably not what you are looking for, but I can tell you how to implement it digitally.
    (I am a software geek and I don't know how to map a s plane transfer function into analog components -- sorry).

The way I would map it into digital hardware or software is to use the Bilinear Transform to map the transfer function into the z plane and then the time domain expression can be read out directly and easily implemented in hardware or software as shift registers. Matlab provides the function bilinear to do this conversion. Just make sure your sampling time is fast enough (2 times the highest frequency component).
  4. Nov 17, 2007 #3
    well i have implemented it with software before in a course called real time instrumentation where we made digital filters and represented our transfer functions as difference equations - however, sadly i can't draw from that to get the 4 marks for this question.

any other help?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?