Designing a Current Mirror with LEDs - Help Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a current mirror using transistors to mirror a reference current across 5 LEDs. The current mirror is not working as expected and the issue is identified as the LEDs being drawn upside-down. Adding emitter resistors can improve accuracy, but may not be necessary for driving LEDs. The conversation also suggests using 5 LEDs with series resistors for a simpler circuit.
_Bd_
Hi, I am working on a design and I am trying to re-work the horrible schematics left by a previous mechanical engineer, I am trying to make a current mirror that will mirror a reference current across 5 LEDs, AFAIK from my little knowledge in Electrical engineering (I am a Mechanical Engineer) this can be done using Transistors in the following way:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4972/waeg.PNG

I am using Multisim to do this circuit and the probes do not show the current being "mirrored" into the other lines, AFAIK they should all be 20 mA, but they are dropping down to 5 pA which doesn't turn on the LED.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
LED1-5 are drawn upside-down -- their cathodes should be pointing down instead of up. :smile:

BTW, the mirrors will be more accurate if you add emitter resistors below the transistors, but for just driving LEDs, you probably don't need that level of matching accuracy.

OMG i can't believe it was only that =,=
silly diodes!

Anyways thank you very much!

berkman has explained that little current flows because the LEDs are reverse biased.

As drawn the 20mA reference current is being wasted because it does not flow through a LED.

This circuit seems a little complex to light 5 identical LEDs. The heat generated in the collectors of the transistors might as well be dissipated in resistors. Unless you need to vary the current through all 5 LEDs together it would simpler to use 5 LEDs with 5 series resistors.

1. How does a current mirror with LEDs work?

A current mirror with LEDs works by using a transistor and a resistor to maintain a constant current through a series of LEDs. The transistor acts as a variable resistor, adjusting its resistance to match the current flowing through the LEDs. This results in a consistent and stable current flow through the LEDs, ensuring they operate at their desired brightness.

2. What is the purpose of using a current mirror with LEDs?

The purpose of using a current mirror with LEDs is to ensure that each LED in a series receives the same amount of current. This helps to maintain uniform brightness and reduces the risk of one LED burning out due to receiving too much current. Additionally, a current mirror can be used to reduce power consumption and increase the efficiency of the LED circuit.

3. How do I design a current mirror with LEDs?

To design a current mirror with LEDs, you will need to determine the desired current for your LEDs and choose an appropriate transistor and resistor to achieve this. You will also need to consider the voltage supply and the number of LEDs in your circuit. Calculations and simulations can help to determine the appropriate values for your components.

4. Can I use any type of LED for a current mirror circuit?

Yes, you can use any type of LED for a current mirror circuit as long as you take into account the forward voltage and current ratings of the LED when designing your circuit. It is important to choose LEDs with similar specifications to ensure consistent performance.

5. What are the advantages of using a current mirror with LEDs?

There are several advantages to using a current mirror with LEDs. These include increased efficiency, reduced power consumption, and more consistent brightness across all LEDs. Additionally, using a current mirror can help to protect the LEDs from overcurrent, prolonging their lifespan and improving overall reliability.