Designing a space ship and need help with the dust shield

Growth always has it limits, even today too much pollution, fossils eventually run out, unemployment, first world problems etc. Some supermachine alone wont solve that... Maybe it even creates more problems than it solves.

Growth always has it limits, even today too much pollution, fossils eventually run out, unemployment, first world problems etc. Some supermachine alone wont solve that... Maybe it even creates more problems than it solves.

It could create more problems. The church has been saying that for a millennia.

Growth always has it limits
We are far away from fundamental limits , even if the limits we see today are fundamental (which we do not know). Not a factor of 10 or 100, but tens of orders of magnitude.
even today too much pollution, fossils eventually run out, unemployment, first world problems etc.
All those problems are not impossible to solve. It is by no means guaranteed that we solve them, but humans have a great track record of solving problems. Our ancestors survived an ice age without any modern technology. And all that is without superintelligent computers.

There is no indication that Einstein-like people would be the upper end of intelligence. It is possible that a computer might become as intelligent compared to humans as we are to ants. Humans routinely solve problems ants cannot even comprehend.

I think this is drifting away from the original topic.

We are far away from fundamental limits , even if the limits we see today are fundamental (which we do not know). Not a factor of 10 or 100, but tens of orders of magnitude.All those problems are not impossible to solve. It is by no means guaranteed that we solve them, but humans have a great track record of solving problems. Our ancestors survived an ice age without any modern technology. And all that is without superintelligent computers.

There is no indication that Einstein-like people would be the upper end of intelligence. It is possible that a computer might become as intelligent compared to humans as we are to ants. Humans routinely solve problems ants cannot even comprehend.

The neat thing is we really won't have long to wait to see the results at this point. The next 10 to 20 years will be a pretty reliable vector.

We are far away from fundamental limits , even if the limits we see today are fundamental (which we do not know). Not a factor of 10 or 100, but tens of orders of magnitude.All those problems are not impossible to solve. It is by no means guaranteed that we solve them, but humans have a great track record of solving problems. Our ancestors survived an ice age without any modern technology. And all that is without superintelligent computers.

I dont doubt that, i just highly doubt that explosive growth stuff. Ants cant even comprehend many problems, because they are overspecialized and highly deterministic, just like machines. Sorry for derailing is there any topic more suitable to continue this?

Agreed on that last part, most of the numbers and finer details that we discuss here wont be laid out in the story, I will focus on the characters and story. Most of this is for my benefit, I want to have a full understanding of how my ship works, if I understand how all the parts fit together then I can write more effectively.

As to the Ram Scoop, but I abandoned it early on as I feel there are far too many hurtles to overcome, the least of which is the fact that it relies on P+P+P+P fusion which I really don't think humans will master for many centuries to come, there is a good chance we never may. My story is set a couple hundred years forward so I am trying to stick to tech that we have on the drawing board now. like D-T fusion and a star Tram like launch system to get things in orbit.

Have you considered the RAIR (ram-augmented interstellar rocket)?

The idea is to use the interstellar material as reaction mass rather than propellant. This requires a significant amount of anti-matter, but the reaction process is not only more efficient, it happens at a lower temperatures.

The main problems are securing enough antimatter and to a lessor degree, a mechanism to boost the space vehicle (SV) to a velocity where the ram scoop provides reaction mass. However, if you resolve the antimatter problems, you probably won't be too stuck with a mechanism to get the SV moving fast enough for the ram scoop to become operational.

Lastly, if the ram scoop drive is not your thing, maybe the scoop is all you need to resolve your shielding needs. A laser could be used to create an ionization field in front of the SV and the scoop is used to create a powerful EM field. You would essentially have a magnetic bottle at its throat, but periodic pulsing the field at the throat could release the material to pass through the central core of the SV.

You need large amounts of energy to work the laser and its EM field, but you are already at that technological point if you have some form of drive that can reach .15C.

I'll also reiterate what I said earlier. Alastair Reynolds created a star drive using Chebesa physics. What's Chebesa physics? He made it up and never explained a word of how it works. I get the feeling that if you could see his detailed notes on the subject it would probably be no more than a paragraph long and he never addressed the issue of how to avoid interstellar matter, either.

But if you want to create a hypothetical system I think the EM scoop might be a good way to start. You could always write that the Bussard Ram Scoop was a failed idea, but it did lead to the development of something called the EM Scoop (EM = Electro-Magnetic), which opened the door to the first interstellar spacecrafts by providing a protective shield... bla, bla, bla.

Just thinking out of the box a little.

Any chance of using artificial gravity generators to alter the trajectory of any incoming foreign objects? if they're a technology that is within the era of your book.

DHF
Any chance of using artificial gravity generators to alter the trajectory of any incoming foreign objects? if they're a technology that is within the era of your book.
When you say artificial gravity, I envision something providing the interior of the ship with an environment for the crew to move about normally, I don't see how that would effect incoming objects. Please let me know what you had in mind.

Ultimately I think I will be going with the shield design mfb suggested, over all it would be the cheapest option and require minimal power to maintain. It relies on using physical objects and dispersion over distance to deflect incoming matter. I quite like the elegance in that.

I agree that the shield is your best and most realistic option. To quote off of the Atomic Rocket Website,

"As a side note, a Whipple shield is very effective at stopping hypervelocity weapons. With kinetic weapons at closing velocities in excess of 10 km/sec, you're getting into the realm where armor is less important than blow-through. For armor, you want something that will resist being turned into a plasma for as long as is possible, followed by gaps made of vacuum to make it a Whipple shield." http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardefense.php

Considering that space debris will basically be hyper-velocity projectiles, a Whipple shield will be one of the better options. As for material, it doesn't have to be super fancy, even carbon will do. My suggestion is to read up on the atomic rocket site for more information on basically anything you need.

ooo make a ship out of diamond. Not clear, still opaque but light and shiny.