Designing an outdoor electronic product (LED tree)

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating LED trees for outside use. The speaker, who has experience in solar power, is seeking advice on the electrical code and safety standards for this project. They discuss materials and methods for wiring the LED's and concerns about safety and certification. The conversation also touches on using a metal tree structure and the need for a competent electronics person to help design the power supply. The speaker mentions using hot glue or liquid latex to encase electrical joints and concerns about using silicone due to an allergy to acetic acid. The topic of certification and safety standards is brought up again, with the speaker expressing confusion about the lack of standardized codes for this type of product.
parkland
Hello,
I thought I'd run this past you guys.

My wife wants to start making LED trees for outside use.
I have been running a part time solar power business, but all my stuff comes assembled to a degree. I have no idea how electrical code might come into play regarding electrical construction from scratch.
Someone told me that it doesn't matter a long as a certified power supply is used.
So I am very curious about that, like I said, I have no experience selling home brewed electronics.

And then the actual design of these... is there actually a method that is required as far as wiring, or is it just whatever works?
I'm thinking copper or aluminum tree frame, and then wire all the LED's up, and wrap everything with green or brown fabric, then coat in a UV stable paint or epoxy.
I was thinking of wiring the LED's, wire, and resistors up, using little pieces of tape to hold them in place until the "wrapping" goes over top.

12 or 24 v dc outdoor power supply and start cranking them out?

ANY input would be great!

Engineering news on Phys.org
parkland said:
Hello,
I thought I'd run this past you guys.

My wife wants to start making LED trees for outside use.
I have been running a part time solar power business, but all my stuff comes assembled to a degree. I have no idea how electrical code might come into play regarding electrical construction from scratch.
Someone told me that it doesn't matter a long as a certified power supply is used.
So I am very curious about that, like I said, I have no experience selling home brewed electronics.

And then the actual design of these... is there actually a method that is required as far as wiring, or is it just whatever works?
I'm thinking copper or aluminum tree frame, and then wire all the LED's up, and wrap everything with green or brown fabric, then coat in a UV stable paint or epoxy.
I was thinking of wiring the LED's, wire, and resistors up, using little pieces of tape to hold them in place until the "wrapping" goes over top.
12 or 24 v dc outdoor power supply and start cranking them out? ANY input would be great!

Does the aluminum or copper structure of the tree have anything to do with the conductance of power to the lights?

If so, it sounds like what you've got there is a live 6 foot human bug zapper!

haha, no, just structural.

i guess what i want to know, is what materials need to be used on connections, etc, like heat shrink tubing, to make it safe and "legal"

?

I've used a connector system that is definitely safe, although I have no idea as to its legality. If something is to be exposed to the elements, I use a hot glue gun or my make-up kit liquid latex to encase the joint, then apply shrink tubing over it.

Danger said:
I use a hot glue gun or my make-up kit liquid latex to encase the joint,
Tried this. Not a good idea. The heat from the electrical connection can melt the glue.

parkland, is this for personal use or are you selling them?

DaveC426913 said:
Tried this. Not a good idea. The heat from the electrical connection can melt the glue.

parkland, is this for personal use or are you selling them?

My wife wants to make them and sell them as a custom made to order business, I need to help her with the electrical wiring and safety part of it.

Upon reflection, there really is no way to get certification on a product that get's designed differently every time...

DaveC426913 said:
I don't see how that affects anything. Although I've never noticed melting, the glue or latex is still confined within the shrink capsule and provides the extra moisture seal that it is intended for.

Danger said:
I don't see how that affects anything. Although I've never noticed melting, the glue or latex is still confined within the shrink capsule and provides the extra moisture seal that it is intended for.

I've always tried to use silicone for stuff like that ...?

The requirements for "low voltage" devices are less strict that for say, 110 volts. Check your local electric codes.
A metal tree could be the "ground or negative" side of a dc circuit, meaning you could use only one wire to distribute the "positive" side of your LEDs' power. LEDs require a range of voltage/currents to operate, so you need a competent electronics person to help you design the power supply. All electrical connections for use outside must be waterproof. I like silicone, personally.

parkland said:
I've always tried to use silicone for stuff like that ...?
That would likely be my first choice, but for 2 reasons. One is cost; glue sticks and latex are a lot cheaper, and I'm on a disability income. The other is that I'm allergic to acetic acid, which silicone releases while curing. It's a minor issue on this scale, but still irritating.

parkland said:
I need to help her with the electrical wiring and safety part of it.

Upon reflection, there really is no way to get certification on a product that get's designed differently every time...

That statement doesn't make any sense to me. There must be some standard codes of practice that you should follow for the design and construction. (I have no idea what they are, because I don't live in your country and I'm not an EE, but it's very hard to believe they don't exist). In any case you will need to carry out some safety test procedures on every item before you ship it, unless you are either a fool or a knave, or you have very good lawyers!

For example in the EU, any electrical device that is sold commercially must meet the "CE" safety standards, and be marked to show it is compliant with them. AFAIK the CE standard is recognised as equivalent to "national" standards by many other countries including the USA, so companies trading internationally don't have to re-certify their products in every country they want to sell to.

The fact that "every device is a one-off" isn't a get-out clause. You can to have a "generic" set of design rules and quality standards that cover the whole range of devices. If you need formal test certificates to demonstrate safety compliance, you can test some representative designs built to those standards, including the "worst case" scenarios that might occur.

Last edited:
If there were a set of instructions or rules, I'm on the hunt for them.

This is a very new challenge to me...

1. What factors should be considered when designing an outdoor electronic product like an LED tree?

When designing an outdoor electronic product, it is important to consider the environment it will be placed in. Factors such as weather conditions, exposure to sunlight and moisture, and temperature fluctuations should be taken into account. Additionally, the durability and safety of the product should also be considered.

2. How can the product be made energy efficient?

To make the LED tree energy efficient, the use of energy-saving LED lights and a timer or sensor can be incorporated. This will help to minimize energy consumption and save on electricity costs. Additionally, using rechargeable batteries or solar-powered panels can also be a sustainable and eco-friendly option.

3. What materials should be used for the product's construction?

The materials used for the product's construction should be weather-resistant and durable. This can include materials such as stainless steel, aluminum, and UV-resistant plastic. Using high-quality materials will ensure the product's longevity and ability to withstand outdoor elements.

4. How can the product be made user-friendly?

The product can be made user-friendly by incorporating features such as easy installation and maintenance, remote control operation, and customizable lighting patterns. Clear instructions and labeling should also be provided to make the product easy to use for customers.

5. How can the product be protected from theft or vandalism?

To protect the product from theft or vandalism, security measures such as tamper-proof screws and locks can be used. Additionally, installing the product in a well-lit and visible area, or having it monitored by surveillance cameras, can also act as a deterrent. Designing the product with sturdy and strong materials can also make it more difficult to damage or steal.