Detailed derivation of the inductance effect

In summary, the conversation discusses how to deduce the inductance effect of a coiled wire, starting from the magnetic influence of each current element on the others. It is mentioned that for a long solenoidal shape, the magnetic field can be calculated using Ampere's law and the inductance can be computed as a function of current. However, for the general case, it is a more complex calculation and the Wheeler empirical formula is often used. At high frequencies, distributed capacitance comes into play and there is a discussion of self-resonance in coils. A possible outline for this derivation is also mentioned, which may involve a self-consistent method similar to the Hartree-Fock method in solving the three electron atom.
DaTario
Hi All,

Is there any reference that shows in detail how to deduce the inductance effect of a coiled wire, starting from the magnetic influence of each current element ##i\, ds## on the others?

Best wishes,

DaTario

Physics news on Phys.org
For a long solenoidal shape, the magnetic field ## B ## is readily calculated inside the coil using Ampere's law, as a function of the current ## I ##. The magnetic flux ## \Phi ## can then be computed, and the inductance ## L=\frac{\Phi}{I} ##. ## \\ ## Notice also that the EMF ## \mathcal{E}=-\frac{d \Phi}{dt}=-L \, \frac{dI}{dt} ##. ## \\ ## For the general case, it is not a simple calculation.

Likes DaTario
Thank you Charles and tech99.

Does any of you know the outline of this derivation ? It seems that the outline should have something of a self consistent method (a la Hartree-Fock method in solving the three electron atom, for instance).

1. What is the inductance effect?

The inductance effect refers to the phenomenon where an electrical current passing through a wire generates a magnetic field around the wire, which in turn induces a voltage in a nearby wire or circuit.

2. How is inductance effect related to inductors?

Inductors are electronic components designed to take advantage of the inductance effect. They consist of a wire wound into a coil, which increases the inductance and allows for more efficient control of current and voltage in a circuit.

3. What is the mathematical formula for inductance?

The mathematical formula for inductance is L = μN²A/l, where L is the inductance in henries (H), μ is the permeability of the material, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

4. How is the inductance effect calculated in a circuit?

The inductance effect in a circuit can be calculated using the formula L = NΦ/I, where N is the number of turns in the coil, Φ is the magnetic flux, and I is the current passing through the coil.

5. What are some practical applications of the inductance effect?

The inductance effect has many practical applications in electronics, including in power supplies, motors, transformers, and filters. It is also used in wireless charging, electromagnetic interference shielding, and inductance-based sensors.