Detecting an Extra-Solar ‘Earth’

• Thread starter slide_Rules
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, astronomers cannot yet detect extra-solar earth-like planets, but there is a future science fiction story where an astronomer detects an earth-like planet in a similar solar system.
slide_Rules
I understand that astronomers cannot yet detect extra-solar earth-like planets.

However, I’m finalizing details on a science fiction story (about an astronomer) set 200 years in the future. It assumes regular scientific and human advancement – it’s not dystopian. But there is NO faster than light travel (sorry trekkies).

Anyhow, assume there’s a solar system similar to ours. The system’s “Earth2” is similar in size, composition, & distance from its star as Earth is to the sun. “Earth2” also has a biosphere and atmosphere similar to an Earth – but no intelligent life. Earth2's star is similar to the Sun.
Will we be able to detect “Earth2” and its bio-atmosphere in the near future (~50 years) out to distances of 50 light years? 70 ly? 100 ly?

In the far future of my story (200+ years out), I assume a large space based array-detection system could detect such an Earth2 and its bio-atmosphere out to 50 ly. Is that reasonable? Is it reasonable out to larger distances?

Is there a theoretical limit to how distant an Earth2 can be passively detected?
Could a sufficiently advanced civilization passively ‘map’ life bearing planets within its local tenth of the galaxy? Or a quarter of the galaxy?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
slide_Rules said:
In the far future of my story (200+ years out), I assume a large space based array-detection system could detect such an Earth2 and its bio-atmosphere out to 50 ly. Is that reasonable? Is it reasonable out to larger distances?
Boy, I sure hope they do it sooner than that! Here's a mission NASA has on the drawing-board that I really hope they'll do in my lifetime: http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/TPF-I/tpf-I_what_is.cfm

I'd like to know the answer to The Question!
Is there a theoretical limit to how distant an Earth2 can be passively detected?
No - it is strictly a function of the baseline of the interferometer array.
Could a sufficiently advanced civilization passively ‘map’ life bearing planets within its local tenth of the galaxy? Or a quarter of the galaxy?
Meaning detect a bunch of them? Sure. Again, I really hope that's us in the next 30 years or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
No - it is strictly a function of the baseline of the interferometer array. Meaning detect a bunch of them? Sure. Again, I really hope that's us in the next 30 years or so.

Excellent news and info.
I hope we're there in the next 30 years. I knew about planetquest, but was ignorant of the details and only thought it was looking for big planets.

Thanks.

1. How do scientists detect an extra-solar ‘Earth’?

Scientists detect an extra-solar 'Earth' through a variety of methods, including the transit method, radial velocity method, and direct imaging. The transit method involves measuring the dip in the brightness of a star as a planet passes in front of it. The radial velocity method measures the slight wobble of a star caused by the gravitational pull of an orbiting planet. Direct imaging uses telescopes to take pictures of exoplanets directly.

2. What characteristics make an exoplanet similar to Earth?

There are several characteristics that make an exoplanet similar to Earth, including its size, composition, and distance from its star. Earth-sized planets that are rocky and located in the habitable zone of their star, where liquid water can exist on the surface, are considered the most Earth-like.

3. How far away can scientists detect an extra-solar ‘Earth’?

Currently, scientists are able to detect extra-solar 'Earth' planets within a few hundred light-years from Earth. With advancing technology, it is possible that we will be able to detect exoplanets even further away in the future.

4. Can scientists determine if an exoplanet has life on it?

At this time, scientists are not able to determine if an exoplanet has life on it. However, with new technologies and future missions, scientists may be able to analyze the atmosphere of exoplanets to look for signs of life, such as the presence of certain gases like oxygen or methane.

5. Why is detecting an extra-solar ‘Earth’ important?

Detecting an extra-solar 'Earth' is important because it could provide evidence of other habitable planets in our universe and potentially lead to the discovery of extraterrestrial life. It also allows us to better understand our own planet and its place in the universe.