Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detecting current in 12v system

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    I'm looking to detect when a device in a 12 volt systems is on, so that I can do something with that information -- like feeding it into an and gate. The device has it's own on/off switch inside it, so I can't simply detect at the regular on/off switch.

I was thinking about putting a small resistor in series with the device and then detecting the voltage across it. (Maybe there's a way to use an op amp to detect voltage this way, I'm not sure. My memory of op amps is a bit hazy.)

I was also thinking that I could measure the voltage across the device's power leads and compare it with the 12v supply. Maybe I could use a simple gate and some pull down resistors that would read the voltage drop as a zero instead of a one.

The device would be drawing 1-3 amps typically. It could be a light or anything else. The power supply would be either a car battery or a car battery on a charger. That would make the latter method a lot tougher, I'd think. There wouldn't be a lot of internal resistance in the power source.

Is there an elegant way of detecting whether something is on?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Feb 19, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the suggestions! Excellent forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook