Detecting gradual change in an oscillating data set.

In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding a way to quantitatively detect gradual change in an oscillating system using a linear regression model. They are also discussing the use of traditional and Bayesian statistics in this situation.
woodssnoop
Hello:

I have been trying to find some information on choosing the width of a running average over a time dependent data set. Here is an example of what I am dealing with:
attachment.php?attachmentid=38896&stc=1&d=1316121113.png

The oscillations should be around the line y=15.6385 and I am wondering if there is a way to quantitatively detect gradual change in a oscillating system. If I do a linear fit of this data I get a line with a positive slope so I get the feeling that there is a gradual change.

Any help would be nice. Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-15 at 3.59.40 p.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-15 at 3.59.40 p.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 631
Physics news on Phys.org
To get a mathematical answer to a problem there must be enough "givens" and what constitutes an answer ("detect" in this particular case) must be precisely defined.

In real world problems, it's usually necessary to make many assumptions before there are enough "givens". Most people don't want to bother with this and they also don't want to say exactly what they expect of an answer.

If you don't want to formulate a precise mathematical problem, then I'd say the postive slope of your regression line already is a kind of "detection" of gradual increase.

If you want to use traditional (i.e. frequentist) statistics, you can assume the regresson line is the flat one. Then you must assume some probability model for how the errors are generated. If you do that, you end up with a quantification of the probability of observing data similar to what you have. Based on the that answer, you can make your own subjective decision about whether the regression line is really flat. This would define "detecting".

You can pick a more complicated model for how the data is generated (such as an ARIMA model). GIven the visual impression that your data has waves in it, that kind of model seems more approriate than a linear model. I think you could also quantify the probability of getting similar data if you assume such a model.

If you take a Bayesian statistical approach you consider a entire collection of probability models and assign a probability distribution that gives the "a priori" probablity for each of them being the one that nature chose. Then you compute the "posterior" probablity distribution which tells you the probablity each model was chosen given the data you observed. If you have to pick a particular model as "the" answer, this is still a subjective decision. It does seem natural to pick the one that is most likely if the posterior distribution has a peak.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the rate of change in an oscillating data set?

The rate of change in an oscillating data set can be determined by calculating the average slope of the curve. This can be done by selecting two points on the curve and finding the slope between them. This process can be repeated for multiple pairs of points and the average slope can be calculated.

2. Can you detect gradual change in an oscillating data set without visualizing the data?

Yes, it is possible to detect gradual change in an oscillating data set without visualizing the data. This can be done by using statistical methods such as regression analysis or time series analysis. These methods can help identify trends and patterns in the data that may not be apparent from visual inspection.

3. How can you differentiate between gradual change and random fluctuations in an oscillating data set?

Differentiating between gradual change and random fluctuations in an oscillating data set can be challenging. One way to determine if the change is gradual or random is by looking at the magnitude and frequency of the fluctuations. Gradual change will typically have a larger magnitude and occur at a slower frequency compared to random fluctuations.

4. What are some common techniques used to analyze gradual change in an oscillating data set?

Some common techniques used to analyze gradual change in an oscillating data set include time series analysis, spectral analysis, and wavelet analysis. These methods involve analyzing the data over time and identifying patterns and trends in the data.

5. How can detecting gradual change in an oscillating data set be useful in scientific research?

Detecting gradual change in an oscillating data set can be useful in scientific research as it can provide insights into long-term trends and patterns in the data. This can help researchers make predictions, identify potential causes of change, and inform decision-making processes. It can also aid in identifying anomalies or abnormalities in the data that may require further investigation.