Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant where the matrix entries may not be commutative

1. Mar 31, 2007 #1
    I am trying to find definition of determinant where the matrix entries may not be commutative, for instance quaternions or Clifford algebras. Does the minor expansion of determinant over a field still work over a non-commutative algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~daddel...plications/Determinant/Determinant/node3.html

It doesn't seem like the definition assume commutativity. So, I guess it would work.

I'm totally not sure about this. I'm just throwing this thought in the air.

4. Mar 31, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A google search on "noncommutative determinant" turns up several hits -- maybe one will have a useful definition?

5. Mar 31, 2007 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My gut says that a useful definition of determinant could be defined as follows:

Your algebra A is a finite dimensional algebra over the reals -- I think that implies that it can be represented as an algebra of real matrices. So you can view your matrix over A as a matrix over R, and take the (real-valued!) determinant of that.

6. Apr 1, 2007 #5
    However, that is not that I am working with. I am playing with Clifford algebra and it is known that every element of Cl(p+1, q+1) can be represented by M(2, Cl(p,q)) and M(n, T) where T = R, C or H. Of course the definition of determinant is trivial when T = R or C, but I am not sure if the Laplace expansion still works on quaternionic matrices. If I can compute the determinant in that case, it will suggest the norm function for Cl(p+1, q+1).

Thank you for your suggestion by the way. I searched with the keyword pseudodeterminant while the suggested keyword 'noncommutative determinant' is more obvious. :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?