Determination of signs in basic capacitance problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a common problem in electromagnetics involving capacitance and conductors with cylindrical or spherical symmetry. The question is about the correct sign for the capacitance in the problem, as the answer frequently has the "wrong" sign. The individual is unsure if there is a right or wrong sign for capacitance and how to determine the signs of the charges of the conductors. The importance of correctly calculating the potential difference V is also mentioned.
Mr_J
In my electromagnetics textbook ("Fundamentals of Engineering Electromagnetics" by DK Cheng) there is a typical problem with capacitance, conductors and cylindrical or spherical symmetry which pops up with different variations several times in the problems section of the electrostatics chapter. It goes something like this:

"The radius of the core and the inner radius of the outer conductor of a very long coaxial cable are ri and r0, respectively. The space between the conductors is filled with a layer of dielectric with dielectric constant epsilon. Deterimine the capacitance per unit length."

Now, I am able to solve this problem and get an answer which is identical with the one given in the book, but with one exception: my answer frequently has the "wrong" sign.

My question, then, is: is there a "right" or "wrong" sign for the capacitance in the above problem? In my calculations, the sign in the answer changes if I switch the signs for the charges in the two conductors in the cable (in the solution of the problem you can either set the core to charge Q and the outer conductor to -Q -- where Q is positive -- or, you could set the core to -Q and the outer conductor to Q). Is there a way for me to determine what the signs of the charges of the conductors really are? Does it really matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you calculate the potential difference V, you want to integrate along a path that goes from the negatively charged conductor to the positively charged conductor so that V comes out positive.

1. What is capacitance and why is it important in basic circuit analysis?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is important in basic circuit analysis because it affects the behavior of the circuit elements and can impact the overall performance of the circuit.

2. How do you determine the sign of capacitance in a basic circuit?

The sign of capacitance in a basic circuit can be determined by analyzing the direction of the electric field lines. If the field lines point towards the positive terminal of the capacitor, it has a positive sign. If the field lines point towards the negative terminal, the capacitor has a negative sign.

3. Can capacitance be negative in a basic circuit?

No, capacitance cannot be negative in a basic circuit. It is always a positive value because it represents the ability to store electrical energy. However, the sign of capacitance can be negative in more advanced circuits such as those with non-linear elements.

4. What is the difference between capacitance and capacitance density?

Capacitance refers to the overall ability of a system to store electrical energy, while capacitance density is a measure of the amount of charge a capacitor can hold per unit area. In other words, capacitance density takes into account the physical size of the capacitor, whereas capacitance does not.

5. How does the dielectric material used in a capacitor affect its capacitance?

The dielectric material used in a capacitor affects its capacitance by changing the electric field within the capacitor. Different dielectric materials have different dielectric constants, which can increase or decrease the capacitance depending on the material's properties.