Determination of specific heat in a reaction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
thisguy
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Is there a way to determine the specific heat of a reaction before said reaction is introduced. thanks in advance for all of your inputs.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "before"? You can calculate it. Or run an experiment somewhere else and use this result to predict what will happen.
 
No, I don't have a specific reaction in mind. But, for instance, a baking soda and vinegar volcano. My question is without ever have mixed the ingredients, can I determine the approximate amount of heat given off? Thank you for your comments.
 
My research is in alternative methods for steam powered turbines on a very small scale. This project is purely educational as I am not currently in school nor do I have a job demanding this expertise. As I can easily make sodium hydroxide at home I will probably try to use that as 1 ingredient. I wish not for trial and error, as I said, home project, may not even get off the ground. I am looking for a formula that can measure the approx. heat given off by the reaction before I cause the reaction. thank you for your comments.
 
Do you know anything about chemistry and how to find the amount of heat given off by a reaction when given the standard ethalpy of formation for each substance?