1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of specific heat in a reaction

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    Is there a way to determine the specific heat of a reaction before said reaction is introduced. thanks in advance for all of your inputs.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean with "before"? You can calculate it. Or run an experiment somewhere else and use this result to predict what will happen.

4. May 19, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Do you have a specific reaction you're wanting to know about?

5. May 19, 2015 #4
    No, I don't have a specific reaction in mind. But, for instance, a baking soda and vinegar volcano. My question is without ever have mixed the ingredients, can I determine the approximate amount of heat given off? Thank you for your comments.

6. May 19, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Sure. Take the standard enthalpy of formation of all involved molecules, find the difference between before and after.

7. May 19, 2015 #6
    My research is in alternative methods for steam powered turbines on a very small scale. This project is purely educational as I am not currently in school nor do I have a job demanding this expertise. As I can easily make sodium hydroxide at home I will probably try to use that as 1 ingredient. I wish not for trial and error, as I said, home project, may not even get off the ground. I am looking for a formula that can measure the approx. heat given off by the reaction before I cause the reaction. thank you for your comments.

8. May 19, 2015 #7
    Ok, now I understand. Thank you mfb for helping me.

9. May 19, 2015 #8

Drakkith

Do you know anything about chemistry and how to find the amount of heat given off by a reaction when given the standard ethalpy of formation for each substance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook