Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of specific heat in a reaction

1. May 19, 2015 #1
    Is there a way to determine the specific heat of a reaction before said reaction is introduced. thanks in advance for all of your inputs.

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean with "before"? You can calculate it. Or run an experiment somewhere else and use this result to predict what will happen.

4. May 19, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Do you have a specific reaction you're wanting to know about?

5. May 19, 2015 #4
    No, I don't have a specific reaction in mind. But, for instance, a baking soda and vinegar volcano. My question is without ever have mixed the ingredients, can I determine the approximate amount of heat given off? Thank you for your comments.

6. May 19, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Sure. Take the standard enthalpy of formation of all involved molecules, find the difference between before and after.

7. May 19, 2015 #6
    My research is in alternative methods for steam powered turbines on a very small scale. This project is purely educational as I am not currently in school nor do I have a job demanding this expertise. As I can easily make sodium hydroxide at home I will probably try to use that as 1 ingredient. I wish not for trial and error, as I said, home project, may not even get off the ground. I am looking for a formula that can measure the approx. heat given off by the reaction before I cause the reaction. thank you for your comments.

8. May 19, 2015 #7
    Ok, now I understand. Thank you mfb for helping me.

9. May 19, 2015 #8

Drakkith

Do you know anything about chemistry and how to find the amount of heat given off by a reaction when given the standard ethalpy of formation for each substance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook