1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine constant c that random variable will have a t distribution?

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Determine constant c so that random variable will have a t distribution?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that five random variables x1, x2, x3, x4, x5 are independent and have normal distribution N(0,1). Determine a constant c such that the random variable

c*(x1+x2)/[itex]\sqrt{x_3^2 + x_4^2 + x_5^2}[/itex]
    will have a t distribution?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty confuced what to do. My cource material doesn't offer any clues how to approach this problem and my teacher didn't show anything related to this kind problem. Any clues for me? Thanks :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Determine constant c so that random variable will have a t distribution?

Well, if Z ~ N(0,1) and Y ~ [itex]\chi^2(\nu)[/itex], then you know that [tex]\frac{Z}{\sqrt{\frac Y \nu}}[/tex] has a student's T distribution. That has a similarity to your problem doesn't it? What is the distribution of x1 + x2? What about that sum of squares under the square root sign? Can you pick c to make it work?

4. Dec 3, 2011 #3

Hi there!

Thanks for reply!

If I'm understanding correctly:

x1 + x2 has distribution N(0,2)

So I need to divide x1 + x2 by two in order to have distribution N(0,1) -->

(x1 + x2) / 2

In order to make the denominator to be in form [tex]{\sqrt{\frac Y \nu}}[/tex]

I have to divide x32 + x42 + x52 by three --->

(x32 + x42 + x52) / 3

So if I pick c = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

It should work?

5. Dec 3, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. That looks good.

6. Dec 3, 2011 #5
    Thanks very much for your help!

7. Dec 3, 2011 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Var(X1+X2) = 2, so to get N(0,1) we need to look at (X1+X2)/sqrt(2), not (X1+X2)/2.

RGV

8. Dec 3, 2011 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Woops! Yes.

9. Dec 3, 2011 #8
    Ok, so is the correct answer then

c = √(3/2) ??

I had similar kind of problem earlier:

Determine c such that Y will have chi-squared distribution,

Y = (x1 + x2 + x3)^2 + (x4 + x5 + x6)^2

x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6 have N(0,1) distribution.

x1 + x2 + x3 has distribution N(0,3)

So in order to have N(0,1) distribution I have to divide x1 + x2 + x3 by three:

x1 + x2 + x3 / 3

I have to square it in order to have chi-squred distribution. Same for x4 + x5 + x6. So if i pick c = 1/9 it should work?

Is this correct then 1/3 ?

10. Dec 3, 2011 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The notation N(0,3) is ambiguous. In some books and papers the "3" is the variance, while in others it is the standard deviation. Your statement X1+X2+X3~N(0,3) is correct if "3" is the variance. The standard deviation is sqrt(3), so (X1+X2+X3)/sqrt(3) ~ N(0,1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook