1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine if this set is compact or not

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]E[/tex] be the set of all [tex]x\in [0,1][/tex] whose decimal expansion contains only the digits 4 and 7. Is [tex]E[/tex] compact? Is [tex]E[/tex] perfect?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My answer is: [tex]E[/tex] is compact and perfect.

By Heine-Borel theorem ([tex]E[/tex] is compact equivalent to [tex]E[/tex] is closed and bounded), since [tex]E[/tex] is bounded, and [tex]\forall x\in E[/tex], and [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], we always have that the neighborhood of [tex]x[/tex], [tex]N_\epsilon (x)[/tex] contains infinitely many elements of [tex]E[/tex], in other words, any number in [tex]E[/tex] is a limit point of [tex]E[/tex]. Conversely, I assume [tex]E[/tex] is not closed, that is, there exists at least one number which is not in [tex]E[/tex], but it is a limit point of [tex]E[/tex]. I denote this number by [tex]y[/tex]. Suppose the i-th digit of [tex]y[/tex], say [tex]y_i[/tex] is the first digit which is not in [tex]\{4,7\}[/tex]. Then we always can find some other numbers which are between [tex]y[/tex] and the closest number in [tex]E[/tex]. So we can conclude that if [tex]y\not\in E[/tex], [tex]y[/tex] must not be a limit point of [tex]E[/tex]. So we can conclude that [tex]E[/tex] is closed and perfect. By the aforementioned Heine-Borel theorem, it is also compact.

However, I am still worrying about this proof, since I am not very sure on the correctness of the proof. Can you guys help me to see if both my answer and my proof are correct? Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer is correct. It's a Cantor type set. Your proof leaves a lot to be desired. And it is a bit complicated since you have to prove two things, that E is closed and perfect. Start with closed. As you said, if a point x is not in E, then it has a digit yi that is not 4 or 7. You have to show x is a positive distance away from E. Can you give an estimate for a positive lower bound on how far away it might be? Suppose the digit is say '3'?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook