Determine sources being charged

In summary, the problem states to determine which sources absorb positive power, and the sum of the five absorbed power values is zero. However, the current source with a voltage notation across it is not standard, and so the student is not sure if they are following the guidelines correctly.
mugzieee
i keep getting stuck in this problem, i don't see what I am doing wrong.
the problem says to determine which sources absorb positive power, then show that algebraic sum of the five absorbed power values is zero.
i have attached a picture of the circuit, and here is what i have done:
Starting from left to right,
p=-4W
p=-16W
p=40W
p=-50W
p=-30W
I am not getting the sum to equal 0.
From what i understand, when current is going from + to - in a independent voltage source it is charging and when it is going from - to + it is releasing power, and that is the guidelines i have used to get the bove answers. I am just not sure if I am supposed to follow the same guidelines for independent current sources. Is there a website that discusses these topics, kuz my book has not done a good job to demonstrate these ideas very clearly.

Attachments

• circ.doc
    25 KB · Views: 257
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, something is nonsensical there. First of all, there is a really weird mixed notation for the sources. Some of them are drawn as current sources (with the arrow inside), but are labelled with a voltge. That's incorrect.

And if you correct the notation so that all sources labelled with a voltage are drawn as voltage sources, then you basically get three 10V voltage sources in parallel, with a single current source also connected in parallel. But the currents don't add up correctly in that case either, since you end up with different currents in different legs, even though they have the same voltage source in each.

Are you sure you have correctly drawn the circuit?

ya, I am positive that the circuit is drawn correctly, i just copied it straight out of the book...

But a current source with a voltage notation across it is not standard. Sorry that I'm not of more help.

its ok, I am just going to wait until the professor goes over the answer in class today. i mean that's the circuit the book has given us, so that's what I've been trying to work on. thanks for your help tho

1. How do you determine which sources are being charged?

To determine which sources are being charged, you can use a variety of methods such as conducting experiments, analyzing data, and using scientific tools. For example, you can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage of a source and determine if it is being charged or not.

2. What factors can influence the charging of a source?

The charging of a source can be influenced by various factors such as the type and capacity of the source, the presence of other nearby sources, the type of charging method used, and the conditions of the surrounding environment.

3. Is it possible for a source to be charged and discharged at the same time?

No, a source cannot be charged and discharged at the same time. Charging and discharging are opposite processes and cannot occur simultaneously. However, a source can be both charged and discharged at different times depending on the external conditions and usage.

4. Can a source be charged indefinitely?

No, a source cannot be charged indefinitely. Every source has a maximum capacity for storing energy, and once it reaches that capacity, it cannot be charged any further. This is known as the saturation point. Continuously charging a source beyond its capacity can also lead to damage and decrease its lifespan.

5. How can we determine the charging rate of a source?

The charging rate of a source can be determined by measuring the change in voltage or current over a specific period of time. This can be done by using a timer and measuring the voltage or current at regular intervals. The slope of the resulting graph can give an indication of the charging rate of the source.