1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Source transformation, current & voltage sources

1. May 28, 2017 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi,

I was working on a the source transformation and i got to the part where there are two current sources in the circuit. The current sources were added together (giving they were going in the same direction). This is the part that confused me.

1. Was KCL done at the common node on the top to get the sum of the two current sources?? if so we didnt account for the current of R1 & R2? How can we just add two sources ( i know they are going in the same direction) and ignore the rest of the components?

2. On one of the posts that i read stated, In series the voltage would add and in parallel the current will add?

Please provide explanation/derivation as i'm confused.

thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are no components between the tops of the current sources (or the bottom either). The total current entering the node is equal to the total current exiting the node. So yes, in this case you can combine them to a single 6 mA source.

4. May 29, 2017 #3
    That same node also has current from the both resistors so when you're combining it into one where are those two currents? That was my question if KVL was done at the top node, you dont account for the current of R1 and R2??

5. May 29, 2017 #4

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some of that 6mA will exit through R1, and some will exit through R2. What you want to do, is find an equivalent resistance of R1||R2, then find voltage of 6 mA through this resistor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted