Determine the Current of R-L Circuit

In summary: This will allow you to analyze the harmonics in both the current and voltage that influence the source. In summary, to determine the current from a full wave rectifier with a voltage source and R-L circuit, you must use Laplace transforms to obtain the complete response and then separate it into transient and steady state components. From there, you can apply Fourier series to the steady state response to analyze the harmonics that influence the source.
HanCie
I want to know how to determine a current from full wave rectifier.
If I have a voltage source (full wave rectifier 3-phase) and R-L circuit.
How to calculate and determine the current of that circuit?
So I can get the equation of that current.

For calculation, let us determine that :
peak voltage 10 Volts, R = 100 ohms and L = 1 Henry, frequency = 60Hz

I've known one solution, using simplification that L is infinite.
So current is squre function. But now I don't want to use any simplifications.

Using laplace transform or transient & steady state?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
HanCie said:
I want to know how to determine a current from full wave rectifier.
If I have a voltage source (full wave rectifier 3-phase) and R-L circuit.
How to calculate and determine the current of that circuit?
So I can get the equation of that current.

For calculation, let us determine that :
peak voltage 10 Volts, R = 100 ohms and L = 1 Henry, frequency = 60Hz

I've known one solution, using simplification that L is infinite.
So current is squre function. But now I don't want to use any simplifications.

Using laplace transform or transient & steady state?
Thanks.

Unless you are interested in investigating the existence of voltage peaks during transient, you should use steady state analysis.

I want to see complete response of that current.
Then I want to analyze that current equation to Fourier series, so I can analyze harmonics (current and voltage harmonics) that influenced to the source.

HanCie said:
I want to see complete response of that current.
Then I want to analyze that current equation to Fourier series, so I can analyze harmonics (current and voltage harmonics) that influenced to the source.

To obtain the complete response you should use Laplace transforms. Once you have the complete response you must separate it in transient and steady state response and apply Fourier series only to the steady state, since the transient is not periodic in nature.

1. What is an R-L circuit?

An R-L circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). The resistor is a passive component that resists the flow of electrical current, while the inductor is a type of coil that creates a magnetic field when current passes through it.

2. How do you determine the current in an R-L circuit?

The current in an R-L circuit can be determined using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In an R-L circuit, the current will also depend on the inductance (L) and the frequency of the alternating current.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current in an R-L circuit?

AC (alternating current) refers to a current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) flows in only one direction. In an R-L circuit, the behavior of AC and DC current will differ due to the presence of the inductor, which will cause the current to lag behind the voltage in an AC circuit.

4. How does the inductance affect the current in an R-L circuit?

The inductance of an inductor in an R-L circuit can affect the current by creating a back EMF (electromotive force) that opposes the flow of current. This causes the current to rise slowly and reach its maximum value after some time, instead of instantly reaching its maximum value like in a purely resistive circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of R-L circuits?

R-L circuits have many practical applications, such as in power supplies, electric motors, and electronic filters. They are also used in devices that require a time delay, such as timers and flashlights. Additionally, R-L circuits are important in telecommunications for transmitting and receiving signals.