Determine the line of force to F and if it's conservative.

• Thread starter MechanicalBrank
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Line
In summary, the conversation is about a vector field F(x,y) = (x2y, xy2), and the attempt at finding the line of force and determining if the vector field is conservative or not. The function is rewritten as a differential equation and after integration, it is discovered that the line of force is a hyperbolic paraboloid. The function is then determined to be not conservative.
MechanicalBrank

Homework Statement

F(x,y) =(x2y,xy2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote the function as a differential equation dy/x2y = dx/xy2. After integration I got C+y2=x2. This gave me that the line of force is a hyperbolic paraboloid. The function is not conservative. ∂F1/∂y = x2 , ∂F2/∂x = y2 ⇒ ∂F1/∂y ≠ ∂F2/∂x

Physics news on Phys.org
MechanicalBrank said:

Homework Statement

F(x,y) =(x2y,xy2)
The "problem statement" is a single function? What is F? Is it a vector force function? What are you asked to do? Please tell us what the question really is!

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote the function as a differential equation dy/x2y = dx/xy2. After integration I got C+y2=x2. This gave me that the line of force is a hyperbolic paraboloid. The function is not conservative. ∂F1/∂y = x2 , ∂F2/∂x = y2 ⇒ ∂F1/∂y ≠ ∂F2/∂x

HallsofIvy said:
The "problem statement" is a single function? What is F? Is it a vector force function? What are you asked to do? Please tell us what the question really is!
Silly me. Determine the line of force to the function F and if the function is conservative or not.

But what you wrote is not a function.

Sorry, didn't notice I wrote function, it's supposed to be vector field. I solved it anyhow so it's all good.

1. What is meant by the "line of force"?

The line of force refers to the imaginary path or direction that a force vector follows in a given field. It is represented by a line or curve that shows the direction of the force at any given point in the field.

2. How is the line of force determined?

The line of force is determined by plotting the direction of the force vector at multiple points in the field and then connecting these points to create a continuous line or curve. This line represents the path that a particle would follow if it were acted upon by the force at every point.

3. What does it mean for a force to be "conservative"?

A force is considered conservative if the work done by the force on an object is independent of the path taken by the object. This means that the work done is only dependent on the initial and final positions of the object, not the route it took to get there.

4. How do you determine if a force is conservative?

A force is considered conservative if its curl (a measure of how much the force changes with position) is equal to zero. This means that the force is path-independent and therefore, conservative. Additionally, if the line integral of the force along a closed loop is equal to zero, the force is also conservative.

5. Can a force be both conservative and non-conservative?

No, a force cannot be both conservative and non-conservative. A force is either path-independent and therefore, conservative, or it is path-dependent and non-conservative. However, a force can be decomposed into both conservative and non-conservative components, where the work done by the conservative component is path-independent and the work done by the non-conservative component is path-dependent.