Determine the magnitude of the total force exerted by the track on the

In summary, the question discusses the confusion about the direction of the normal force in a given solution. The person asking the question believes that the normal force should be upwards, but it is shown as downwards in the provided free-body diagram. They also mention their own calculation method that yields a different result. The expert explains that the direction of the normal force does not matter when drawing the diagram, as the frictional force only cares about the magnitude.
TheDudeTR
Homework Statement
i did not understand free body diagram in this question
Relevant Equations
F = ma
This is the question.

This is the FBD in the solution given. What i didn't understand is the sense of normal force. in the question mg force pulls particle down and according to my logic normal vector should be upwards in this conditions. but it is downwards in the given FBD. when i try to solve question with my own way result is different because of in the question it takes normal axis equations as (N+mg.cos30=m*a) and i took it as (-N+mg.cos30=m*a ) where am i wrong? can you help me please.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheDudeTR said:
the sense of normal force
In principle it could be either way - depends on the speed and the radius, etc.
But you do not need to care which way it is when drawing the diagram. If you chose wrongly it will come out negative, but the frictional force only cares about the magnitude.

1. What is the formula for determining the magnitude of total force?

The formula for determining the magnitude of total force is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the mass of an object on the track?

The mass of an object on the track can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the acceleration of the object.

3. What factors affect the total force exerted by the track?

The total force exerted by the track is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. How can the direction of the force be determined?

The direction of the force can be determined by considering the direction of the acceleration and the direction of the external forces acting on the object.

5. What units are used for measuring force?

The units used for measuring force are Newtons (N) or kilogram-meters per second squared (kg*m/s^2).