Determine the net force acting on a ball as it rolls down a ramp.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
filip3311
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am doing a Gr. 11 Physics project and my task is:Determine the net force acting on a ball as it rolls down a ramp.
m= 46.7
d(horizontal of ramp/length)= 92.5cm
h (height of the ramp from floor to tallest point)= 45.0cm
time for ball to roll down= 0.61s

Homework Equations


I am confused on how to determine the net force. I would just use F=mg but because this is a ramp, I am unsure. Please let me know if you can help me at all.
Here is a picture of the experiment:
photo.jpg


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to consider a free body diagram(FBD) of the ball on the ramp. Since this is an 11th grade project, you should know the basics of drawing an FBD. Simply draw the ball on an incline, introduce an appropriate coordinate axis, and plot all the relevant forces acting on the ball. There will be gravitational, normal, and friction forces on the ball.
 
Alright sounds good. I'll give it a shot and post back with my solutions.
 
Alright I drew the diagram and got the net force of the ball rolling down the ramp at 220.57N (coefficient of friction was 0.01 (closest i could fin in my textbook.)) If anybody likes physics and would like to do the problem themselves to check if my answer is correct, I'd appreciate it. Good day guys :)