1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the strain rate for a material fiber

1. Jun 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the Strain Rate for a Material Fiber in the direction of the surface normal.

The Velocity Field is
    V=((4y-3x)i+(5x+3y)j) ft/s

http://puu.sh/9hQ7Q/2bda80620f.jpg [Broken] is the picture

which describes a steady, planar flow

where i and j are unit vectors.

2. Relevant equations
    n * (n * ∇) V

where n is the unit normal, and * are dot products.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the solution to this itself is very simple, it is just math, my biggest issue though is how do I find the unit normal vector? I have no idea where to begin, any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2014 #2
    In your figure, the z axis lies within the plane, and the point 1,1,1 lies within the plane. Do you know how to determine a unit normal to this plane?

Also, the rate of deformation tensor is 1/2 the velocity gradient tensor and its transpose, not just the velocity gradient tensor.

Chet

4. Jun 7, 2014 #3
    The only thing I can think of is a cross product of two vectors.
    If I defined two vectors from the origin to the coordinates (0,0,1) and (1,1,0) and crossed them, this would give me -i+j
    however the solution is sqrt(2)/2(-i+j) and I'm not sure where that common factor is coming from

5. Jun 7, 2014 #4
    (1,1,0) is not a unit vector. Divide it by its magnitude, and you will see where the sqrt(2)/2 came from. Another way to get the unit vector normal to the plane is just to draw a diagram of the intersection of the plane with the x-y plane.

Chet

6. Jun 8, 2014 #5
    In general, when given something like, this how would I know which vectors to use for my cross product?

7. Jun 8, 2014 #6
    Any two convenient in-plane unit vectors will do the trick. But often, it's easier to draw a diagram with a unit normal to the plane, and resolve it into components in the coordinate directions.

Chet

8. Jun 8, 2014 #7
    Ah I see, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted