Hydraulic head as a function of flow rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of hydraulic head in a piping system with series and parallel pipes. The hydraulic head is plotted in function of the flow rate, from zero flow to the maximum flow rate where the hydraulic head is three times the hydraulic head at zero flow. The question is how to calculate the hydraulic head at zero flow and the maximum flow rate. The instruction paper includes the equation for hydraulic head and a mechanical equation for fluid flow. The person also mentions a plot they made, but they are unsure of how the hydraulic head can be negative. They are looking for further resources or clarification on this issue.
Ronanvdv
Hello!
1. Homework Statement
Symbols and variables:

##\dot{V}## : flow rate
##H## : Hydraulic head
##g = 9.81 \frac{N}{kg}##
##P_{atmosphere} = 101325Pa##
##\rho = 1000\frac{kg}{m^3}##
I am given a piping system, with serie and parallel pipes, they start from one point and go back into one point.

I need to plot the hydraulic head (the medium in the piping system is water at 20°C, and the local flow loses are negligible) in function of the flow rate, for ##H(\dot{V}=0 \frac{m^3}{s})## to ##H(QMax)##.
With ##QMax## the flow rate where the hydraulic head is 3 times the hydraulic head by zero flow.

The question:
  1. How can I calculate the hydraulic head by zero flow
  2. How can I calculate the maximal flow rate
My instruction paper is in dutch (reason why i didn't upload it)

Homework Equations

In my instruction paper:
$$H = \frac{P_{In} - P_{atmosphere}}{g\rho}$$
Further the mechanical equation out of my syllabi:
$$H_1 - H_2 = R\dot{V}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

In appendix.
I also includes a plot from what I think the solution is. (hydraulic head in function of flow rate)

But what i don't understand, how can (according to my solution) the hydraulic head be negative.
Does someone know how or knows a resource.

Thanks in advance,
Good day!

Attachments

• PNG-afbeelding.png
    PNG-afbeelding.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 353
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a diagram?

Likes BvU

1. What is hydraulic head?

Hydraulic head is a measurement of the pressure at a specific point in a fluid system, typically measured in terms of the height of a column of fluid.

2. How is hydraulic head related to flow rate?

Hydraulic head is directly related to flow rate, as an increase in flow rate will result in an increase in hydraulic head. This relationship is known as Bernoulli's principle, which states that an increase in fluid velocity will result in a decrease in pressure.

3. What factors affect hydraulic head as a function of flow rate?

The main factors that affect hydraulic head as a function of flow rate include the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter of the pipe, and the length of the pipe. These factors can impact the resistance to flow, thereby affecting the overall hydraulic head.

4. How is hydraulic head measured?

Hydraulic head is typically measured using a pressure gauge, which measures the pressure at a specific point in the fluid system. This pressure can then be converted into a height measurement to determine the hydraulic head.

5. What are some common applications of hydraulic head as a function of flow rate?

Hydraulic head as a function of flow rate is commonly used in hydraulic engineering, such as in the design of pipelines, pumps, and water distribution systems. It is also important in areas such as hydrology, where it is used to study the flow of water in natural systems.