Unraveling the Stress-Strain Curve: Find Young's Modulus & Yield Strength

In summary: Both values are given in the chart.In summary, the figure shows a stress-strain curve for a material with a stress scale of 280, in units of 10^6 N/m2. To find the Young's modulus, divide 280 by 0.004, which equals 70 GPa or 70,000 MPa. For the approximate yield strength, it depends on which yield stress is being asked for, either the proportionality limit or proof stress, both of which are given in the chart.
rgold

Homework Statement

The figure shows the stress-strain curve for a material. The scale of the stress axis is set by s = 280, in units of 10^6 N/m2. What are (a) the Young's modulus and (b) the approximate yield strength for this material?

Homework Equations

E=stress/strain

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know that for part a i needa divide 280/.004 but I am not sure what it means to use units of 10^6. also shouldn't part b be 280? the unit that is correct is N/m^2 (its an online grading program that told me this is correct) and i cannot answer a 10^6 or any 10^... (the system won't read it) what am i not understanding?

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,482
Physics news on Phys.org
rgold said:

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know that for part a i needa divide 280/.004 but I am not sure what it means to use units of 10^6. also shouldn't part b be 280? the unit that is correct is N/m^2 (its an online grading program that told me this is correct) and i cannot answer a 10^6 or any 10^... (the system won't read it) what am i not understanding?

It means that if you enter [answer] this will be interpreted as [answer] x 106 N/m2
e.g. if you put in 6 your answer will be interpreted as 6 Mega Pascals

so shouldn't the answer to part a be .07 n/m^2?

rgold said:
so shouldn't the answer to part a be .07 n/m^2?

What are the units of the '280' ?

What does 280 / 0.004 equal? What are it's units?

280*10^6
so then the answer would be 7e10 but rly 7e4 bc of how the the program will interpret it?

rgold said:
280*10^6
so then the answer would be 7e10 but rly 7e4 bc of how the the program will interpret it?

You still didn't provide any units but yes you are on the right track.

280 MPa / 0.004 = 70 GPa = 70 000 MPa = 70 000 x 106 N / m2

so my final answer would be 70000e6 N/m^2 for part a and 250e6 N/m^2 for part b?

What is the purpose of unraveling the stress-strain curve?

The purpose of unraveling the stress-strain curve is to understand the mechanical properties of a material. This information can then be used to determine the material's Young's modulus and yield strength, which are important factors in designing and testing structural components.

What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of a material's stiffness. It is defined as the ratio of stress to strain within the elastic limit, and is typically expressed in units of gigapascals (GPa).

What is yield strength?

Yield strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand before it begins to deform plastically. In other words, it is the point on the stress-strain curve where the material transitions from elastic to plastic behavior. Yield strength is typically reported in units of megapascals (MPa).

How is the stress-strain curve obtained?

The stress-strain curve is obtained through tensile testing, which involves pulling a sample of the material until it breaks. During the test, the amount of force applied and the resulting deformation are measured, and these values are used to plot the stress-strain curve.

What factors can affect the shape of the stress-strain curve?

The shape of the stress-strain curve can be affected by various factors, including the composition and microstructure of the material, the testing conditions (such as temperature and strain rate), and any pre-existing defects or flaws in the material.