Determine the wave function of the particle

In summary, the wave function of the particle in region I is:\Psi_{I} (x) = Ae^{-ikx} + Be^{ikx} In summary, the wave function of the particle in region II is:\Psi_{II} (x) = Csin(lx) + Dcos(lx) In summary, the wave function of the particle in region III is:\Psi_{III} (x) = 0
rmfw
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]

Homework Statement

A particle coming from +∞ with energy E colides with a potential of the form:

V = ∞ , x<0 (III)
V = -V0 , 0<x<a (II)
V = 0, x>a (I)

a) Determine the wave function of the particle considering that the amplitude of the incident wave is A. Writting the amplitude of the reflected wave at x=a in the form

[itex] \frac{B}{A} = e^{i\delta} [/itex]

determine [itex]\delta[/itex] . What is the value of [itex]\delta[/itex] in the limit where V0 = 0 ?

b) Determine the probability density current in x>a

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

For region I :

[itex] \Psi_{I} (x) = Ae^{-ikx} + Be^{ikx} , k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar} [/itex]

II:

[itex] \Psi_{II} (x) = Csin(lx) + Dcos(lx) , l=\frac{\sqrt{2(mE+V_{0}}}{\hbar} [/itex]

III:

[itex] \Psi_{III} (x) = 0 [/itex]Boundary conditions:

at x=0:

[itex] 0 = Csin(lx) + Dcos(lx) (=) D = 0 [/itex]

So [itex] \Psi_{II} (x) = Csin(lx) [/itex]

at x=a:

[itex] Ae^{-ika} + Be^{ika} = Csin(la) [/itex] (1)

and

[itex] -ikAe^{-ika} + ikBe^{ika} = lCcos(la) [/itex] (2)

Dividing (1) for (2) I got:

[itex] \frac{B}{A} = e^{-2ika} \frac{(-\frac{1}{l}tan(la)ik-1)}{(1-\frac{1}{l}tan(la)ik)} [/itex]

How can I get rid of that constant that is multiplying by the exponential? Is this even right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
B/A appears to be a complex number - is that right?

Note: did you try writing ##\psi_{II}## as a sum of complex exponentials?

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
B/A appears to be a complex number - is that right?

Note: did you try writing ##\psi_{II}## as a sum of complex exponentials?

Hi Simon Bridge, thank you for your reply.

I did write psiII as a sum of complex exponentials and I got the following:

[itex] \frac{B}{A} = \frac{\frac{k}{l}e^(ika-ila)-\frac{k}{l}e^(-ika + ila) - e^(-ika -ila) - e^(-ika + ila)}{\frac{k}{l}e^(ika-ila) - \frac{k}{l}e^(ika+ila) +e^(ika+ila) + e^(ika-ila)} [/itex]

is there any way to simplify this ? This problem is killing me, because I'm not even sure what "writing the amplitude of the reflected wave at x=a in the form [itex] \frac{B}{A} [/itex] " means.

I mean, I assumed the amplitude of the reflected wave at x=a is B, if I write B/A it isn't the amplitude of the reflected wave anymore.

B/A is the proportion of the incident amplitude that is reflected.
If you multiplied it by 100, you's be able to say, "100B/A percent got reflected".

You basically have to look for common factors and cancel things off a bit at a time.
It is not going to be easy. But that, I am afraid, is the exercise.

Note: ##e^{a-b}+e^{-a-b}=(e^a+e^{-a})e^{-b}## ... stuff like that. maybe ##e^{-b}## cancels something in the denominator? If not - look for something else.

Of course, since they are all constant terms, it may be possible to add them up geometrically.
Separate the real and imaginary components.

Likes 1 person

Your approach to solving for the wave function in each region is correct. However, in order to determine the value of \delta, it may be helpful to rewrite the wave function in region II as a combination of exponential functions rather than trigonometric functions. This can be done by using the identities sin(x) = (e^{ix}-e^{-ix})/2i and cos(x) = (e^{ix}+e^{-ix})/2.

Substituting these identities into the wave function in region II, we get:

\Psi_{II} (x) = C\frac{e^{ilx}-e^{-ilx}}{2i}

Using this form for the wave function, the boundary conditions at x=0 and x=a can be used to solve for the coefficients C and \delta.

At x=0, the wave function becomes:

\Psi_{II} (0) = C\frac{e^{il(0)}-e^{-il(0)}}{2i} = C

At x=a, the wave function becomes:

\Psi_{II} (a) = C\frac{e^{ila}-e^{-ila}}{2i} = C\frac{e^{2ila}-1}{2ie^{ila}} = C\frac{e^{2ila}-e^{-2ila}}{4ie^{ila}}

Using the boundary condition equation (1) from your attempt, we can write:

Ae^{-ika} + Be^{ika} = C\frac{e^{2ila}-e^{-2ila}}{4ie^{ila}}

Substituting in the expressions for A and B that you found in your attempt, we get:

Ae^{-ika} + \frac{A}{e^{2ika}} = C\frac{e^{2ila}-e^{-2ila}}{4ie^{ila}}

Dividing both sides by Ae^{-ika}, we get:

1 + \frac{1}{e^{2ika}} = C\frac{e^{2ila}-e^{-2ila}}{4ie^{ila}Ae^{-ika}}

Using the boundary condition equation (2) from your attempt, we can write:

-ikAe^{-ika} + ik\frac{A}{e^{2ika}} = C\frac{l}{e^{ila}}

Substituting in the expressions for A and

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the state of a particle in quantum mechanics. It describes the probability of finding the particle at a particular location and time.

2. How is the wave function determined?

The wave function is determined through the Schrödinger equation, which is a differential equation that takes into account the energy of the particle and the potential energy of its surroundings.

3. Can the wave function be observed?

No, the wave function itself cannot be observed. It is a mathematical construct used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, the effects of the wave function can be observed through experiments and measurements.

4. What factors affect the wave function?

The wave function is affected by the energy of the particle, the potential energy of its surroundings, and any external forces acting on the particle.

5. Why is the wave function important?

The wave function is important because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to make predictions about the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also helps to explain various phenomena such as the wave-particle duality and quantum tunneling.