Determine Motion of Two Planes in Deep Space

In summary, in this conversation about two planes in deep space, it is stipulated that there are only two planes and no other reference available. Each plane sees the other plane in motion, making it obvious that at least one plane is in motion. However, based on the stipulations, it is also possible that both planes are in motion. The observer in these planes cannot tell if their own plane is in motion, as they are each the only reference for themselves. This demonstrates the concept of relativity and the need for a reference frame when considering motion. In a thought experiment, it is possible for an object to be in motion without being aware of it, and acceleration can be felt even without any other visible references.
rajeshmarndi
Suppose in deep space there are only two plane and no other reference is available. And each plane see other plane in motion.

It is obvious that atleast one plane is in motion. But it is also possible that both plane are also in motion.

Can the observer in these plane, tell whether their own plane too, is also in motion.

Because to calculate other plane speed, an observer should know first whether his own plane is stationary or not.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rajeshmarndi said:
Suppose in deep space there are only two plane and no other reference is available.
OK, keep this all-important stipulation in mind when understanding the rest of your thread.

rajeshmarndi said:
And each plane see other plane in motion.
OK, now you have a second stipulation.

rajeshmarndi said:
It is obvious that atleast one plane is in motion.
Yes, based on your two stipulations, you said that each plane can be a reference so in the rest frame of each plane, the other plane is in motion.

rajeshmarndi said:
But it is also possible that both plane are also in motion.
Not according to your first stipulation, you said that no other reference is available other than the two planes.

rajeshmarndi said:
Can the observer in these plane, tell whether their own plane too, is also in motion.
No, not according to your two stipulations, you said each plane sees the other one in motion and there are no other references so each plane must see itself at rest in its own reference.

rajeshmarndi said:
Because to calculate other plane speed, an observer should know first whether his own plane is stationary or not.
No, because in Special Relativity, when we calculate the speed of any object, it is always according to a reference frame. And you stipulated that your two planes were the only references available. They are quite adequate, no other reference is necessary.

rajeshmarndi said:
Thanks.
You're welcome.

You seem to be ignoring the basic concept of relativity: an object is in "motion" only relative to something else. It makes no sense to ask if something is in motion without specifying what object (or reference frame) relative to which it is in motion.

That is why asking "Can the observer in these plane, tell whether their own plane too, is also in motion" is meaningless- you have not said "in motion relative to" a specific reference.

Here, since there are only two objects, there are only two reference frames- and so two answers. Each passenger on a plane sees his own plane as stationary relative to itself and in motion relative to the other plane.

HallsofIvy said:
an object is in "motion" only relative to something else.

Thanks.

If there is no other reference available or say no other reference is visible to a plane. And it accelerate, can we consider ourselves moving i.e we can always feel the acceleration.

That is to say, I might be in motion with some unseen reference, but I am not aware of it. Or say when I am lost in deep space.

rajeshmarndi said:
If there is no other reference available or say no other reference is visible to a plane. And it accelerate, can we consider ourselves moving i.e we can always feel the acceleration.
In a thought problem, if you started out inertial, you could use yourself as the basis for an Inertial Reference Frame (IRF) in which you are at rest. Then you could accelerate and now you would be moving in the same IRF. So if I understand your question, the answer is yes.
rajeshmarndi said:
That is to say, I might be in motion with some unseen reference, but I am not aware of it. Or say when I am lost in deep space.
You could start with the same IRF as defined earlier and then without accelerating at all, just use the Lorentz Transformation process to create a new frame moving at some speed with respect to the original IRF and now you have the object moving at some speed in a particlar IRF>

FAQ: Determine Motion of Two Planes in Deep Space

1. What is the purpose of determining the motion of two planes in deep space?

The purpose of determining the motion of two planes in deep space is to accurately track and predict the movement of these objects in relation to each other. This information is crucial for space missions and satellite operations, as it allows for precise planning and maneuvering to avoid collisions and optimize trajectories.

2. How is the motion of two planes in deep space determined?

The motion of two planes in deep space is determined through a combination of observations, mathematical calculations, and computer simulations. Observations from ground-based telescopes and space-based instruments are used to track the positions and velocities of the planes. This data is then inputted into mathematical equations and computer programs to calculate their trajectories and predict future movements.

3. What factors affect the motion of two planes in deep space?

The motion of two planes in deep space is affected by a variety of factors, including their masses, distances from each other, and the gravitational forces between them. Other factors such as solar radiation, atmospheric drag, and external forces from other objects can also impact their motion.

4. Can the motion of two planes in deep space change over time?

Yes, the motion of two planes in deep space can change over time. This can be due to a number of factors, such as gravitational interactions with other objects, changes in their own mass or propulsion systems, or external forces acting on them. It is important to continuously monitor and update the motion of these planes to ensure their safety and effectiveness in their designated orbits.

5. How does determining the motion of two planes in deep space contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Determining the motion of two planes in deep space allows us to better understand the laws of physics and the dynamics of objects in space. By tracking and predicting their movements, we can also gain insights into the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as potential hazards and opportunities for space exploration and commercial activities.

Back