1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether each circuit element is a source or a resistor

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the circuit as shown in Figure 4, there are three independent sources and
    five ordinary resistors.
    (a) Determine which of the circuit elements are sources and which are
    resistors?
    (b) Determine the value of the resistance for each of the resistors.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5295/unledvhg.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since every element can be reduced to an equivalent resistance, voltage, and branch current, it is impossible to tell whether any given element is a source or a resistor.

My answer is wrong, and I couldn't find any similar questions or examples in my textbook to reference. The professor did not address this in class and I do not know where to start.

EDIT: I only need help with part a. I did part b with no problem of course.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

HINT: Only sources can increase potential in the direction of current flow. Resistors always show a potential drop in the direction of current flow.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3
    Ah, thanks. That makes a lot of sense. So h, c and e are sources, and the rest are resistors?

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4

gneill

Yes. Check your results by solving for the currents in your finished circuit.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5
    Thanks again. Wish there was a kudos button :)

7. Oct 4, 2011 #6

gneill

:smile: You're quite welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook