Determining Convergence/Divergence

• Thread starter aFk-Al
  • Start date
In summary, the series \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{2^n}{3^n+5} converges because the absolute value of r (which is 2/3 in this case) is less than 1.
aFk-Al
I need to determine the convergence of the following equation:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{2^n}{3^n+5}[/tex]

It's not necessary to be formal, but I would like an explination of how it's done. My belief is that it would converge to zero because although the limit is infinity over infinity, the [tex]3^n[/tex] trumps the [tex]2^n[/tex] . I tried L'Hopital's rule, however you just end up with [tex]\frac{\ln(2) * 2^n}{\ln(3) * 3^n}[/tex] over and over. I have not tried the integral technique but I don't believe that would work. Any suggestions? The sequence is geometric I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a geometric series is and what is the value of convergence of such series (i.e. does it converge or diverge?)?

Yes, I know that a geometric series is [tex]a_n = a_1 * r^{n-1}[/tex], that [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n a_1 * r^{k-1} = \frac{a_1(1-r^n)}{1-r}[/tex], and that a geometric series is convergent if the absolute value of r is less than 1.

Last edited:
Could I make that [tex]\frac{2}{3}^n[/tex] which would be divergent?

Ok, then consider the series

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{2^n}{3^n}[/tex]

This is geometric with a_1=1 and r=2/3, so it converges.

Now notice that in your series,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{2^n}{3^n+5}[/tex]

because of the aditional "+5" in the denominator, each term of your series is smaller than its corresponding term in the above geometric series (i.e. for each n, the n-th term of your series is smaller than the n-th term of the geometric series). So the sum of your series must be also smaller than the sum of the geometric series!

This is the reasoning behind most convergence tests out there. Also note that in your first post, you arrived at the limit of [itex]\frac{\ln(2) * 2^n}{\ln(3) * 3^n}[/itex]. This is of the form [itex]ka^n[/itex] with k a constant and |a|<1, which goes to zero (ever noticed that when you square a (positive) number lesser than one, the result is always lesser than what you started with? And if you cube it, you end up with something even smaller?).

But, and this is what I wanted to warn you about, remember that knowing that the general term goes to zero does not allow you to draw any conclusion whatsoever about the convergence of the series. It can still converge or diverge. Only when the general term does not go to zero can you say something about the convergence (namely, that the series diverge).

Last edited:
Got it! Thank you very much! I appreciate the help.

FAQ: Determining Convergence/Divergence

1. What is the purpose of determining convergence/divergence?

The purpose of determining convergence/divergence is to analyze the behavior of a series or sequence to determine whether it approaches a specific value (converges) or does not approach a specific value (diverges). This can help in understanding the overall trend and predict the future behavior of the series or sequence.

2. How is convergence/divergence determined?

Convergence/divergence is determined by using various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or the integral test. These tests compare the terms of the series or sequence to known patterns of convergence or divergence and provide a conclusive result.

3. Can a series or sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series or sequence can only be either convergent or divergent. If it satisfies the conditions for both convergence and divergence, it is considered to be indeterminate and further analysis is needed to determine its behavior.

4. What is the significance of the limit comparison test in determining convergence/divergence?

The limit comparison test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series by comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series. This test is useful in situations where other tests may not provide a conclusive result.

5. Is it necessary to determine convergence/divergence for every series or sequence?

It is not necessary to determine convergence/divergence for every series or sequence, but it is important to do so for series or sequences that are used in real-world applications. This helps in understanding the behavior and predicting future trends, which can be crucial in decision making and problem-solving.