Determining correct pKas in organic chemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from an old exam that asks for the correct set of pKa values. After some discussion, it is determined that the correct answer is #4 based on the fact that HCl is a strong acid with a low pKa value. The conversation also mentions a general rule about pKa values in organic chemistry.
future_vet

Homework Statement

This is a problem taken from an old exam:
C. Which set of pKa’s is correct?
1. CH3COCH3 -7.0 2. CH3COCH3 -19.0
CH3COOH 4.8 CH3COOH -4.8
HCl 19.0 HCl 7.0

3. CH3COCH3 4.8 4. CH3COCH3 19.0
CH3COOH 7.0 CH3COOH 4.8
HCl 16.0 HCl -7.0

Homework Equations

None that I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from looking at the pKa values we were given in the lecture than the right answer is #4. Nevertheless, I was wondering if there was a way to get to this answer without learning the pKas by heart (a reasoning that would make the question logical).

Thank you,

Joanna.

Physics news on Phys.org
HCl has to have a pKa that is negative, tell me why.

The higher the pKa, the more basic a substance is. HCl is a strong acid, therefore it should be negative... correct?

Yep, tweak the pKa equation and see for yourself.

A general rule that I learned in Ochem...know water (about 16)...strong bases will have a high pKa and a strong acids will have a low one. Weak acids will be close to water.

1. What is the purpose of determining correct pKas in organic chemistry?

The pKa value of a compound is a measure of its acidity or basicity, and it can greatly affect the reactivity and behavior of a molecule. Determining the correct pKa values is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of organic compounds in various chemical reactions.

2. How are pKa values experimentally determined?

There are several methods for determining pKa values, including potentiometric titration, UV-Vis spectroscopy, and NMR spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the pH at which a compound undergoes a specific chemical change, such as protonation or deprotonation.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of pKa determination?

The accuracy of pKa values can be affected by various factors, such as solvent effects, temperature, and ionic strength. It is important to control these variables during experiments to obtain reliable and accurate results. Additionally, the purity and concentration of the compound being studied can also influence the pKa value.

4. How do researchers validate the accuracy of pKa values?

One way to validate the accuracy of pKa values is by comparing them to literature values for the same compound. Additionally, conducting experiments under different conditions and comparing the results can also help confirm the accuracy of pKa values. Ultimately, the best validation comes from consistently obtaining similar results through multiple experiments.

5. How can pKa values be useful in practical applications?

The accurate determination of pKa values can be useful in various practical applications, such as drug design and synthesis, environmental chemistry, and material science. By understanding the acidity or basicity of a compound, researchers can predict its behavior in different environments and optimize its properties for a specific application.