Determining current drawn from a capacitor

In summary, the speaker wanted to know the current being generated by a supercapacitor but did not have a direct way to measure it. They attempted to calculate it from the voltage drop on the capacitor and determined that it was giving out 47.1A of current. They also mentioned an alternative method using a capacitor equation to calculate the current.
Artlav
Hello.

I want to know what current i am getting out of a supercapacitor, but i have nothing to directly measure the currents in the given range with.
So i tried to determine it from the voltage drop on the cap, and i want to know if i did it right.

Given is 3000F capacitor, at initial voltage of V1=1.100V.
After being connected to the load in question for 3.5 seconds, the voltage is V2=1.045V.

Thus, the energy in the capacitor is 0.5*C*V*V.
E1=1815J
E2=1638J
Which gives spent energy of 177J.

W=J/s, so for the 3.5 seconds it was giving out 50.5W of power.
Finally, A=W/V, and average V was 1.0725V, which gives 47.1A of current.

Is that a correct way of current estimation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can also use a capacitor equation.

C = Q/V = (I*t)/V ---> I = C * V/t = 3000F * (1.1V - 1.045V)/3.5s = 3000F * 0.055V/3.5s = 47.14A

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as the dielectric.

How is current drawn from a capacitor?

Current can be drawn from a capacitor by connecting a circuit between its two plates. The charge stored in the capacitor will then flow through the circuit, providing a current.

What factors affect the current drawn from a capacitor?

The current drawn from a capacitor is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage across it, and the frequency of the AC power source (if applicable). The resistance of the circuit also plays a role in determining the current drawn.

How do you calculate the current drawn from a capacitor?

The current drawn from a capacitor can be calculated using the formula I = C * dv/dt, where I is the current, C is the capacitance, and dv/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time.

Why is it important to determine the current drawn from a capacitor?

Determining the current drawn from a capacitor is important for designing and analyzing electronic circuits. It allows us to understand how the capacitor behaves in a circuit and how it affects the overall performance of the circuit.