Determining Local Extrema with Lagrange

In summary, the conversation discusses using Lagrange to find local extrema of a function with a given constraint. The individual attempts to use Lagrange but makes a mistake in their calculations. The error is pointed out and the correct solution is provided. The individual asks for clarification on their mistake and it is explained that they made an error in their multiplication and division of fractions. The final solution is agreed upon.
cse63146
[SOLVED] Determining Local Extrema with Lagrange

Homework Statement

Find local extram of f(x,y,z) = 8x+4y-z with constraint g(x,y,z) = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 9

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla f(x,y,z) = \lambda g(x,y,z)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did the partial derivatives for F and G:

[tex]\nabla f(x,y,z) = (8,4,-1)[/tex] [tex]\nabla g(x,y,z) = (2x,2y,2x)[/tex]

Now I use Lagrange to get

[tex]8 =2 \lambda x , 4 = 2\lambda y , -1 =2 \lambda z[/tex]

Now I isolated [tex]\lambda = \frac{4}{x} = \frac{2}{y} =- \frac{1}{2z}[/tex]

Now I re-write both y and z in terms of x and I get:

[tex]y = \frac{x}{2}, z =- \frac{x}{8}[/tex]

Then I put them back into g(x,y,z) = g(x,x/2,x/8)

and get:

[tex]g(x,x/2,x/8) = x^2 + \frac{x^2}{4} +\frac{x^2}{64} = 9 \Rightarrow \frac{64x^2 + 16x^2 + x^2}{64} = 9 \Rightarrow \frac{81x^2}{64} = 9 \Rightarrow x = \sqrt{\frac{193}{27}}[/tex]

but the book says x = 8/3

Can anyone see what mistake did I make? Thank You.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah I do. It's tricky. Let's rewind to... the step before

81x2/64 = 9

So dividing both sides by 81 we get

x2/64 = 1/9

Multiplying both sides by 64 we get

x2 = 64/9

Try solving that one instead

x = 8/3 which agrees with the book. Thank You.

but why couldn't I multiply 9 by 64, and then divide it by 81?

cse63146 said:
x = 8/3 which agrees with the book. Thank You.

but why couldn't I multiply 9 by 64, and then divide it by 81?

You can, but 9*64/81=192/27=64/9 not 193/27

1. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in determining local extrema?

Using Lagrange multipliers allows us to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a constraint. This is useful in cases where traditional methods of finding extrema, such as differentiation, are not possible.

2. How do you use Lagrange multipliers to determine local extrema?

To use Lagrange multipliers, we set up a system of equations using the original function and the constraint. We then solve for the values of the variables that satisfy these equations, which will give us the coordinates of the local extrema.

3. What is the difference between a local and global extremum?

A local extremum is a point where the function reaches a maximum or minimum value within a specific interval. A global extremum, on the other hand, is the maximum or minimum value of the entire function. In other words, a global extremum is the largest or smallest value of the function over its entire domain.

4. Can Lagrange multipliers be used to find extrema for multivariable functions?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used to find extrema for multivariable functions. In fact, they are specifically designed for this purpose and are commonly used in multivariable calculus.

5. What are some real-life applications of using Lagrange multipliers to determine extrema?

Lagrange multipliers have many real-life applications, particularly in optimization problems. They are used in economics, engineering, physics, and other fields to find the most efficient or optimal solution to a problem given certain constraints.