Determining Planck's Constant With Photoelectric Effect

In summary, the student is trying to determine Planck's Constant through an experiment with the Photoelectric Effect, however, the equations he's given and the data he's collected are not getting him to the 6.63e-34 that he needs to be at. He's graphing Stopping Potential (V) vs 1/λ and then using the slope to find Planck's Constant. The experiment is designed so that stopping potential equals the work function. He doesn't know whether the trendline's slope that Excel plotted for him is wrong because of outlier data or whether his manipulation of equations is wrong. Using h = 2Veλ/c, where Vλ is the slope of the line, he gets an average value for Plan
MASmith

Homework Statement

I'm trying to determine Planck's Constant through an experiment with the Photoelectric Effect, however, the equations I'm given and the data I've collected are not getting me to the 6.63e-34 that I need to be at. I'm graphing Stopping Potential (V) vs 1/λ and then using the slope to find Planck's Constant. The experiment is designed so that stopping potential equals the work function. I don't know whether the trendline's slope that Excel plotted for me is wrong because of outlier data or whether my manipulation of equations is wrong.

Homework Equations

E = hc/λ
e(V + Φ) = hc/λ
e(V + Φ) = hc/ λ --> 2eV = hc/λ if stopping potential = work function --> h = 2Veλ/c
V = hc/eλ (what's given on assignment) --> h = Veλ/c

The Attempt at a Solution

Using h = 2Veλ/c, where Vλ is the slope of the line, I get an average value for Planck's Constant of 7.76e-34. Using h = Veλ/c, I get an average value of Planck's Constant of 3.88e-34. Also, if I disregard my stopping potential reading for λ = 470 nm, I get a value for Planck's constant that is probably the most accurate, 5.72e-34.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calcualate freq. By given wavelengths. Plot a graph between freq. And stopping potential then slop of the graph will give you h/e multiply it with charge it will give value of Planck constant.

If I multiply that by 2 it gives me the most accurate result so far, but the assignment specifically asks for a graph of V vs 1/λ.

MASmith said:
If I multiply that by 2 it gives me the most accurate result so far, but the assignment specifically asks for a graph of V vs 1/λ.
Then plot graph between V and 1/λ but the slop will give you hc/e.

So my problem is most likely outlier data that is skewing the slope of the line then.

Ye
MASmith said:
So my problem is most likely outlier data that is skewing the slope of the line then.
Yeah try plotting graph by urself by adjusting the slope to get required value..

Show your data. Typically you have only a few frequencies of spectral lines to work with. (Or did you use LEDs instead of a mercury lamp?)
Low-frequency light may be polluted with some of the other frequencies to give a tail out to high lambda. Just inserting a factor of 2 out of nowhere isn't physics.

Finding a much lower h isn't uncommon (see http://www.jcon999.com/Physics/PlanckLab.htm )

Oh, and: Hello MA, welcome to PF :smile: !

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

How is Planck's constant related to the photoelectric effect?

Planck's constant is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. In the photoelectric effect, Planck's constant is used to calculate the energy of the electrons emitted from a material when exposed to light.

Why is the photoelectric effect important?

The photoelectric effect is important because it provided evidence for the particle nature of light and helped to develop the concept of photons. It also has practical applications in technologies such as solar cells and photodiodes.

What is the experimental setup for determining Planck's constant with the photoelectric effect?

The experimental setup typically involves a metal plate as the photoelectric material, a source of light with varying intensity and frequency, and a measuring device to detect the emitted electrons. The data collected is used to plot a graph and determine the value of Planck's constant.

What are the challenges in determining Planck's constant with the photoelectric effect?

One of the main challenges is ensuring that the experimental setup is precise and accurate. Factors such as the cleanliness of the photoelectric material, the intensity and frequency of the light source, and the sensitivity of the measuring device can all affect the results. Additionally, the photoelectric effect can only be observed with certain materials, limiting the types of experiments that can be performed.