1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric effect and a metal plate

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    First of all, Hi we haven't even learned the E = ((hc)/λ) in the physics class but we have this question on our test-exam and I hope that it's fairly easy:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A metal plate is shone upon with a monochromatic light. When the wave-length is 550 nm a photo-electric effect is observed where the fastest photo electrons have the energy of 0.45 eV. When the light have 410 nm wave-length the quickest photo electrons get the energy 1.26 eV. Decide the planck constant with help of these values.

First λ = 550 x 10^9 m
    First E = 0.45 eV
    Second λ = 410 x 10^9 m
    Second E = 1.26 eV

2. Relevant equations

E = h*v
    λν = c

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I start out with, I'm not sure if I even is to use the conversion of eV to J so I can find the constant but it's the only way I can see that we can do this:

0.45 x (1.60217657 × 10^-19) = E

c/λ= v

(3*10^8)/(550 x 10^9) = v

E/v = h

(0.45 x (1.60217657 × 10^-19))/((3*10^8)/(550 x 10^9)) = h

1.3217957e-16 Js = h

Which doesn't look right. But I guess this has to do with photoelectric effect which haven't learned anything about yet, and that I should use the two values and wavelengths in co-operation in some form to get the Plancks constant.

Anybody who could make me see what to do?

Bindle
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need an additional parameter, to wit, the work function of the metal.

Basically, E = hf - W
    where W is the work function of the metal, f is the frequency of the impinging light, and E is the maximum observed kinetic energy of the emitted electrons. E cannot be negative.

So you have 2 equations and 2 unknowns: h and W. Solve for h.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted