Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining temperature of heat bath

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    I have a bunch of degenerate particles in a heat bath, which I can "measure" some of their properties to approximate the temperature of the heat bath. Like energy at ground state, 2nd, etc, and their degeneracies.

But I was told that the exact temperature of the heat bath cannot be measured and only the approximation can be made.

I was reading my stats mechanics book and all I can find is something about thermal equilibrium requiring a Boltzmann distribution and a formulation to find Temperature of a heat bath of non-degenerate particles.

I tried searching the internet for some more information but I keep ending up with research papers that have nothing to do with my question.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2
    do some counting and calculate the multiplicity of the system in terms of some known qualities. then find the entropy and the temperature is equaled to:
    [tex]T=\left ( {\frac{\partial S}{\partial U}}\right )^{-1}_{V,N} [/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?