1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the gain of an op-amp with feedback?

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

8242017227_8bf9d9f51b_z.jpg

2. Relevant equations

I have two "golden rules" I was given which are "no current into the op-amp" and [itex]V_{-} = V_{+}[/itex]

and the open loop gain is infinite

Basically my notes and textbooks are leaving me with pretty much nothing though

3. The attempt at a solution

tried determining the currents like we did in other methods. tried figuring out the case when x=1 and x=0. I don't get how current can flow across the resistor if V_=V+. I'm basically completely lost. No Idea where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Using your "golden rules", given a voltage V_in at the input, what will be the voltage at the + terminal of the op-amp? (Hint: you're looking at a simple voltage divider).

So, what then is the voltage at the "-" terminal?

4. Dec 3, 2012 #3
    well I would say [tex]V_{+}=\frac{xR}{(1-x)R+xR}V_{in}[/tex][tex]V_{+}=x[/tex]

5. Dec 3, 2012 #4
    and my golden rule says that V_=V+

6. Dec 3, 2012 #5

gneill

Well, ##x\,V_{in}##, right?

Good. So what's the current through the input resistor, R?

7. Dec 3, 2012 #6
    oops I meant V-=xV_in

8. Dec 3, 2012 #7
    the current through the input resistor would be [tex]\frac{V_{in}-xV_{in}}{R}=\frac{(1-x)V_{in}}{R}[/tex]so[tex](1-x)V_{in}=xV_{in}-V_{out}[/tex][tex]1-x=x-\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}[/tex][tex]\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}=2x-1[/tex]?

9. Dec 3, 2012 #8
    if my work is hard to follow I just said that the current through the input resistor must equal the current through the feedback resistor after the "so".

10. Dec 3, 2012 #9
    this makes sense to me now so I hope it's correct haha.

11. Dec 3, 2012 #10

gneill

Looks good. For someone who started out with "no idea", you've carried it off nicely :smile:

12. Dec 3, 2012 #11
    thanks a lot. I guess usually I just have "no idea where to start". sucks on exams!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook