Determining the gain of an op-amp with feedback?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
richyw
Messages
179
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



8242017227_8bf9d9f51b_z.jpg


Homework Equations



I have two "golden rules" I was given which are "no current into the op-amp" and [itex]V_{-} = V_{+}[/itex]

and the open loop gain is infinite

Basically my notes and textbooks are leaving me with pretty much nothing though

The Attempt at a Solution



tried determining the currents like we did in other methods. tried figuring out the case when x=1 and x=0. I don't get how current can flow across the resistor if V_=V+. I'm basically completely lost. No Idea where to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Using your "golden rules", given a voltage V_in at the input, what will be the voltage at the + terminal of the op-amp? (Hint: you're looking at a simple voltage divider).

So, what then is the voltage at the "-" terminal?
 
well I would say [tex]V_{+}=\frac{xR}{(1-x)R+xR}V_{in}[/tex][tex]V_{+}=x[/tex]
 
richyw said:
well I would say [tex]V_{+}=\frac{xR}{(1-x)R+xR}V_{in}[/tex][tex]V_{+}=x[/tex]

Well, ##x\,V_{in}##, right?

richyw said:
and my golden rule says that V_=V+

Good. So what's the current through the input resistor, R?
 
the current through the input resistor would be [tex]\frac{V_{in}-xV_{in}}{R}=\frac{(1-x)V_{in}}{R}[/tex]so[tex](1-x)V_{in}=xV_{in}-V_{out}[/tex][tex]1-x=x-\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}[/tex][tex]\frac{V_{out}}{V_{in}}=2x-1[/tex]?
 
if my work is hard to follow I just said that the current through the input resistor must equal the current through the feedback resistor after the "so".
 
this makes sense to me now so I hope it's correct haha.
 
Looks good. For someone who started out with "no idea", you've carried it off nicely :smile:
 
thanks a lot. I guess usually I just have "no idea where to start". sucks on exams!